What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to edit a pigeon 2

I hope someone can help me.:hi:

I want to edit some photos of my pigoens, but my skills are very bad in using photoshop and from what i undestood in this THREAD, i applied to my photo and my result is kinda bad.

Can anyone may guide me, or make some sort of tutorial how to make it? I'd be very glad and thankful!:youtheman:

Here is my result...
Pigeon_01.jpg

pigeon_02.jpg

And this how i want to be
Pigeon_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As demonstrated in the other thread, improving an image in the ways you want means that several different aspects of the bird are changed. For example, the lengths and shapes of different areas, cleaning up roughness in the outline of the bird, improving inadequate lighting / overall color, adding color where there is none, etc.

This means that you will have to improve your knowledge of many different Photoshop tools and techniques. This is too much to put in one tutorial or thread. My suggestion is that you work on one thing at a time and not try to do everything at once. Instead, I would suggest that you select one aspect that you feel needs the most improvement, explain it to us, and we'll go from there, one improvement at a time.

That being said, highly appropriate suggestions and information is contained in the past discussion thread regarding this subject, eg, use of the liquefy tool, the puppet warp tool, the clone tool, etc.. It sounds like you lack knowledge proficiency with these tools , so another approach would be for you to tell us which of these tools you want to work on first.

Tom M

@Marian Berceanu ...

Just to clarify so we know what needs to be specifically done.... Do you want your pigeon's colour markings replaced with that of the sample pigeon? Or is it the profile view you want to replicate?

@Marian Berceanu ...

Just to clarify so we know what needs to be specifically done.... Do you want your pigeon's colour markings replaced with that of the sample pigeon? Or is it the profile view you want to replicate?

I want to make it look the same shape, those fluid, continuous lines, mine looks like my dog chewed that pigeon :lol: and to turn his head, because in my result it looks very big. I only used Polygonal Lasso tool to remove backgrond and then Puppet Warp to modify the shape, using the last picture as a guide.

I want to make it look the same shape, those fluid, continuous lines, mine looks like my dog chewed that pigeon :lol: and to turn his head, because in my result it looks very big. I only used Polygonal Lasso tool to remove backgrond and then Puppet Warp to modify the shape, using the last picture as a guide.

It's possible to tweak the pigeon's profile to get a close match with your sample but it's the head.... the edit may result in disfiguring the look.

If you could take another shot with the head at just the right view angle, it can be spliced into the whole..... and the rest modified.

Even in your sample image, I detect it was also photoshoped..... . I say this because of the leg and claws. The center of balance looks somewhat off. And it's the same photoshoped look I see in most racing pigeon profile pictures Ive seen in the net....

...... If you could take another shot ....

In my opinion Photoshop can do a lot, but if you want a nice and realistic picture of your pigeon instead of some nice looking bird remotely resembling the one you have, it always depends the most on the quality of the shot. I would, if possible, try to take photo on a good light outside of the cage.

Making such extensive changes in a photo also bothers me because it can easily be seen as misleading the viewer whether its a news story, a Hollywood star, an advertisement for ebay, or a pigeon. If making such major changes is standard practice and fully accepted in this hobby / for advertising the sale of these birds, I guess it's fine, but I know that if I made such changes in the event and product photos I take for my employer, they wouldn't ever accept another photo from me.

Tom M

Tom Mann - I absolutely agree, but I am not sure whether the OP really wants to modify his bird into something the bird is not, it could even harm the sale when potential buyer sees reality. He may just want as well colored and clear picture from his photo as is the one he shows.

@Tom Mann @peta62 ..

I'm certain the OP is aware of this as it seems to be an accepted, standard practice in the pigeon racing and breeding community. Look at all the profile pixes of pedigree racing pigeons in the net. A majority (most especially from the same breeder) share the same posture and in some of them, similar claws or legs as well.... ;). Besides, it's not like it's a snap to have the pigeon pose in the specific manner needed as they're constantly on the move.... lol. Hence the need of pixel manipulation.....

The profile pix serves as a visual representation. The real deal comes from the actual viewing and up-close examination of the bird by a potential buyer. Even in online negotiations, the seller would send untouched images.

Thanks for confirming that, Vee. I know nothing about this community, so that's why I inserted the phrase, "...if it's standard, accepted practice...".

You're right, that it must be quite a chore for the photographer to get a really good shot of one of these animals. What came to my mind was having the pigeon positioned in profile view between two parallel plates of glass that make it difficult for him to turn around, but maybe that would be
be considered rough treatment. What an interesting challenge.

Tom M

dv8_fx thank you for detailed explanation, that makes sense. I do not know anything about this community, although I vaguely remember my former colleague's husband was local top in pigeons, she got cheated or even stolen the birds after he died. You are right, it must be real hell to get the birds into position, I have a lot of experience with horses, it requires a lot of patience although I am sure they are much better "models" than birds.

So, i got some pictures of pigeons from internet and i practiced a bit.
A2Ft60e.jpg
[/IMG]
ihdVvuW.jpg
[/IMG]

From what you can see the pigeon is not far from reality, only the stance is changed.

What abut the edges, how can i make them more fluid?

If I understand you correctly... soften the edges by using the blur tool set at a medium pressure. Brush along the edges. You may have to do triarl and error to get the look you want.

Thanks for confirming that, Vee. I know nothing about this community, so that's why I inserted the phrase, "...if it's standard, accepted practice...".

You're right, that it must be quite a chore for the photographer to get a really good shot of one of these animals. What came to my mind was having the pigeon positioned in profile view between two parallel plates of glass that make it difficult for him to turn around, but maybe that would be
be considered rough treatment. What an interesting challenge.

Tom M

Actually thats not a bad ideea, there are some pigeon products that are used for transporting pigeons from fancier(pigeon breeder) to the place where pigeons are basketed to a contest or w/e in a basket with individual compartiments as in the link below
http://gurzauvasilegabriel.sunphoto.ro/4_Lazi_de_transport_porumbei/104443762

@Marian Berceanu ...

Are those 2 images practice runs? Upon closer inspection, the pigeon's crop and bottom areas may be the result of cropping too close for comfort hence the sharp edges. You can go ahead with what I mentioned earlier using the blur tool. But if your cropping from your pigeon image, don't make it too close to the edge to the point you crop out feather details.....

edit... the fist one looks better than the other....

@Marian Berceanu ...

Are those 2 images practice runs? Upon closer inspection, the pigeon's crop and bottom areas may be the result of cropping too close for comfort hence the sharp edges. You can go ahead with what I mentioned earlier using the blur tool. But if your cropping from your pigeon image, don't make it too close to the edge to the point you crop out feather details.....

edit... the fist one looks better than the other....

The first picture is from internet,not made by me and the second one is my work in photoshop. I did cropped a bit into the pigeon, i will make another run and i will use what u mentioned.

Back