What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing an image

Bluie

Hello

I am trying to get this illustration to fit a 6 inch wide by 4 inch high (300 resolution) frame, but the illustration is square. When I try to resize it, it looks tiny.

Hatter.jpg
I did ask here on the Photoshop Newbies board something very similar a couple of weeks ago - again with an Alice theme (no copyright on Alice illustrations) - and it was answered, but I can't locate it when I search for it on the forum by my username.

Thank you.

Confestium

Used the 6x4in then pasted the illustration.

Manages to transform the illustration on a larger scale without too much loss of quality.

Resizepsg.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Take a look at this attempt, as well. I used a special, commercial re-sizing algorithm (instead of Photoshop's built-in algorithm), and also cleaned up some of the JPG artifacts in the original.

Tom M

Attachments

• Hatter-tjm01-ps01a-6x4inches-01.jpg
    Hatter-tjm01-ps01a-6x4inches-01.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 2

Bluie

Thanks, Confetium, for your reply.

So you created a new file of 300 resolution, white background, 6in long, 4in high), then imported the illustration, and scaled it down (Edit | Scale, or Edit | Transform), then copied and pasted it into your new 6in x 4in image?

When I did that, it looked tiny.

Tom Mann

Guru

Attachments

• alice 8.jpg
    alice 8.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 1

Bluie

IamSam, I think it was you who answered my question.

I posted an image of the White Rabbit.

Bluie

Thanks, Tom for the link.

The other link you posted goes back to 2013 when I seem to have asked the same.

I have saved it because your explanation is thorough and clear.

Yes, I have come across other variations - suppose they all add to the Alice's rich library!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IamSam, I think it was you who answered my question.

I posted an image of the White Rabbit.
Was it a thread that you had started or was it someone else's thread?

Bluie

Yes, started it but couldn't find it in the Newbies forum.

That's the only forum I post on - it was sometime in mid-Jan.

Not to worry.

Tom Mann

Guru
Thanks for those other links.

Your image in post #6 is an improvement - it looks crisper.

You like this link http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/resources/pictures/alices-adventures-in-wonderland/ for other illustrations.
Just to clarify one thing, my "crisper" version is in post #4 in this thread. The illustration in Post #6 is a re-drawn version by someone else. The latter is almost certainly a freehand version because when you overlay it with the version you posted, there are major differences in the crosshatching and other details, as well as slight distortions, changes in placement of objects, etc.

Also, I only sent you one link, not multiple links in this thread.

Tom M

Bluie

You sent me the 'I am late for an important for an important date' link.

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, that's the one I sent. I thought I was losing it when you used the plural in the first line of post #11.

T