What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this possible?

Coffee_Girl

I'm wondering what this method is called, taking a photo such as that on the left and turning it grey-ish like the right. I am not looking to make it desaturated. The one on the right allows you to recolor the photo with different hues. Thanks for all your help!

12498799_10205868718258485_373604316_n.jpg

Edit: I found out this is called a bump map?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm not sure why you said that they aren't desaturated. To me, it looks exactly like that followed by a major reduction in global contrast. I am not at my computer at the moment, so I can't demonstrate it, but I am pretty sure that's all that's going on.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Ummm ... A bump map is an image used to texturize an object. Although these could be used that way, I doubt that you would like the results. Bump Maps typically look more like high pass filtered versions of the original. These look more like simply desaturation and lowered contrast. Can you give us the link to a webpage that makes you feel these are bump maps.

Last edited:

Coffee_Girl

Sorry about that, I guess you are right, I like creating textures for a video game, i'm still very new to photoshop

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bump maps are usually desaturated images with a bumped contrast and then made blurry.

Coffee_Girl

Thank you IAMSam, now that i know what i am looking for, I'll just google how to do it. Thanks and sorry for this post....