What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart Objects Limitations

Dean

I understand the power of smart objects and their non destructive nature, however there are edits that can't be done with them. For instance, frequency separation. All the videos I've seen at some point tell you to "apply image". This can't be done to a smart object because the action is grayed out.

For what it's worth, I am not a professional photographer and my need for editing is mostly headshot/portrait stuff that I do for a little extra cash. If a need arises that blemishes or blotchy skin needs cleaned up, frequency separation can't be accomplished. Some of the final images go to print for personal use, otherwise the original file has no further use.

Should I start with a copy of my RAW original so I maintain a clean version or is there a way to do this task with a smart object?

Thanks for your help,
Dean

CPR

Personally I would not convert a raw image of a headshot to a smart object. Bring it in as a regular PS file and use layers to make all changes. You can fix them anyway you need to and save as a .tiff file.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Simple rules, open any image, duplicate the image, turn off (deactivate) the original layer. "Save" will now save as a psd. If you use "Save As", be sure and change the name of the file. So use any file you wish.

If a smart object wont work, no sweat, don't use it.

Dean

Thank you both, that is a big help. It makes sense that a simple headshot retouch doesn't really need the smart objects benefits.

Thanks again,

Dean