What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What effect is this?

BUclass19

Found this image online and fell in love with it. I cannot seem to find the exact tools in Photoshop that have been used to create this effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get all of the desired effects in this photo? Thanks for any help!

Golfer.jpg

colleague

Guru
let's say you could use the brush with color fcf0c5 and use it on a new layer with color-mode "soft light"
if that is not enough, you can use a seond and a 3th and 4th layer

example

Attachments

• effect.gif
    effect.gif
    423.5 KB · Views: 14

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This can be done many different ways. This is only one.

You have to choose the right image with the Sun backlighting the subject.
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.06.28 AM.png

Next you add a radial gradient using the Gradient Tool in the direction of the sun light.
I used white which I will tint later, but you could use a tinted color at this point.
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.06.39 AM.png

Finally I added a layer mask to the gradient layer so I could remove gradation off of the golfer.
I used the Brush Tool set to black and lowered the flow to 1%and the opacity to 20%. Work slow.
I also added a color fill layer. I lowered the opacity to 3%.
Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.07.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.14.17 AM.png

BUclass19

Thank you both for your help! One other question I have is how do you get the image to look so high definition? Do you simply use HDR toning or would a extension like Topaz be best?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you simply use HDR toning or would a extension like Topaz be best?
You should start off with a good high quality/high rez image. Only resort to HDR if you have to.

The rule of thumb is, start with quality, you want to make the least amount of changes to an image as possible.