What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats this effect called ?

zoe20

Power User
Whats this effect called ? I think its pattern overlay ?? or brush work?? Any tutorial or tips r really appreciated

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

cheers n regards
zoe20

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Zoe!

I'm a bit short on time. I think that there are some repetitive patterns here but I don't think it's a pattern overlay. It's more than likely a brush.

In order to inject some randomness, I tried using a black and white grunge texture.
I picked this texture because all of the little black spots will become white if I invert the texture.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.27.57 AM.png

I then inverted the grunge texture.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.28.08 AM.png

Then I set the inverted grunge layer to screen and clipped it to a colored rectangle.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.28.59 AM.png

It's not like your examples, but it's a similar effect with slightly more randomness.

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.32.09 AM.png

When I have more time this afternoon, I will work on the grunge brush which is what I think was used to create the texture in your examples.

Hopefully others will jump in as well!

Last edited:

zoe20

Power User
ok i downloaded that texture from the subtle patterns and opened that png with photoshop.Once i opened that png i noticed thast image mode is set to index colors.Then i chanegd it to RGB and hit ctrl+i to invert.But the color changes to red :( :banghead:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok Zoe.

I used this texture which I found on the internet. I will call it Tex1.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.56.03 PM.png

I thought it was a bit too intense for the effect so I used parts of it to make a brush.
First, I removed the white BG using Color Range.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.56.17 PM.png

Next, I opened a separate document that was 500px x 500px. I gave it a white BG.

Going back to the Tex1 document. I used the Lasso Tool to make selections of areas that I though would make a good brush.
Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 11.59.31 PM.png

I copied the selection, moved over to the 500px x500px document and pasted.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.18.21 AM.png

I did this two more times.
I did have to use Free Transform to rotate some of the selections.

When I had the selections the way I liked them, I made a brush out of them by going to edit > define brush preset.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.06.37 AM.png

Now that I have a brush, I was ready to create the texture from your example.

I created a new document.
Once I had the Green BG, I created a new layer for the brush work.
I selected the Brush Tool and the Brush I had created.

I set the Brush Tip shape spacing to 200%.
I set the Shape dynamics :
Size Jitter to 30%
Minimum diameter to 5%.
Angle Jitter to 20%.
Roundness Jitter to 8%.
Minimum roundness to 16%.

I made some Brush clicks on the BG.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.26.43 AM.png

I set the blending mode to Soft Light.
I lowered the opacity to 40%.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 12.27.21 AM.png

That's about it! You can play more with the brush settings to refine the effect.

zoe20

Power User
I have a question for you Iamsam.How did u save an individual brush out of it ? I have been trying it with out success. When am trying to export brushes all the brushes i got installed on my photoshop are also exporting. For example i made a brush like your tutorial and i want to share it with one of my friends only and exclusively that brush only? How to do it ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Simple.

Open your Preset manager.
Set to Brushes.
Click on the Brush you would like to save. Make sure it has a blue frame around it.
Click save set.

Your done.

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 1.07.03 AM copy.png