What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help in making tiled posters !

Greetings
I would like to make tiled poster as shown in the image below

-font-b-Framed-b-font-Printed-font-b-Batman-b-font-Movie-font-b-Poster.jpg5pcs-set-UnFramed-Printed-font-b-Batman-b-font-Movie-font-b-Poster-b-font-Group.jpg
is there any poster making software for windows or how can this be done in Photoshop

Kindly assist

These are called Panels. How much Photoshop experience do you have?

No answer............

Create an appropriate sized document.
Set a BG color.

On a new layer, create a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool (not the Rectangular Marquis Tool).
I used white for the color, but it can be any color.
Duplicate the rectangle. I duped it two more times. You can dupe it as many times as you wish and/or make them different sizes. Thi important thing is that they are all on their own separate layers.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.44.54 PM.png

Use your Move Tool to position the panels/rectangles.

On each of the panel layers, create a Drop Shadow using layer styles.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.45.14 PM.png

On the very top layer open the main image you want to use within the panels.
Size it so it covers all the panels.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.45.32 PM.png

Now duplicate the main image as many times as there are panels.
Place one main image duplicate on the layer above each panel layer.

One at a time, right click on each of the main images layer, and select "add clipping mask".
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.45.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 9.00.58 PM.png

That's about it.

You can also add a Bevel and Emboss to the layer styles and a gradient to the BG.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 9.08.17 PM.png

On a new layer, create a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool (not the Rectangular Marquis Tool).
I used white for the color, but it can be any color.

Sam, I'm curious why you specifically advise against the rectangular marquis tool (and then filling the selection with white). I can't think of why that wouldn't be an equally acceptable choice for creating panels.

Rich

Sam, I'm curious why you specifically advise against the rectangular marquis tool (and then filling the selection with white). I can't think of why that wouldn't be an equally acceptable choice for creating panels.
Great question Rich.

Mainly Preference, Control, and Editability. Of course the Rectangle Tool creates shape layers with corresponding paths. You could always go back a readjust the height or width of the rectangles or even the paths (if needed) with any of the path editing tools.
Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 10.04.26 PM.png

If you use the Rectangular Marquis Tool, you would have to create new rectangles or use Free Transform to edit the rectangle which is a bit more difficult due to height and width is adjusted in percentages and not in pixels.
Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 10.18.38 PM.png

Either tool will work well, for me, it's mostly preference.

IamSam

Whilst I would probably use the same or very similar method as you have detailed here to produce this effect - known in this case as a Triptych as there are 3 panels - the clipping method doesent show the detail between the panels. this looks to be fine for the OPs first example, but if you look at the second example the picture has been cut into panels and then shifted - IE there is no loss of the image detail it is just shifted.

To acheive the same effect as in the second image I would suggest (and this isnt a great tutorial as I am not at a machine with PS on it at the moment so cant post screen shots) the following.

Create a rectangular selection around the left most part of the image and then Copy this to a new layer with Ctrl + J.
Shift the selection to the right making sure it lines up perfectly with the first and copy this to a new layer
Do the same for the third panel
Turn off your original background
Expand your canvas to allow for movement of the panels
shift each panel to the right or left using the left and right cursor keys to maintain control over the movement
then add the drop shadows and bevels etc as you described.

FWIW - I personally prefer the way you did it - using the clipping mask - as I think it looks better but the above method doesn't delete the pixels between the panels.

Cheers

John

If you use the Rectangular Marquis Tool, you would have to create new rectangles or use Free Transform to edit the rectangle which is a bit more difficult due to height and width is adjusted in percentages and not in pixels.

Hey Sam you can enter px instead of % for the width and height when using free transform
Untitled.jpg

I am back at my main computer now - here is a short video to show the method I described.

I have also included a quick demonstration of how to set up a Guide Layout as I think this is helpful to get things accurate.

No Audio
[video=youtube_share;XdwLJn8wejo]https://youtu.be/XdwLJn8wejo[/video]

Cheers

John

Hey Sam you can enter px instead of % for the width and height when using free transform
Sorry Ged, I didn't elaborate on my answer above. Yes you can enter pixels but percentage is the default setting. With the the Rectangle Tool I just use the scrubby slider and don't have to enter anything..........it's just preference.

@IamSam

Whilst I would probably use the same or very similar method as you have detailed here to produce this effect - known in this case as a Triptych as there are 3 panels - the clipping method doesent show the detail between the panels. this looks to be fine for the OPs first example, but if you look at the second example the picture has been cut into panels and then shifted - IE there is no loss of the image detail it is just shifted.

To acheive the same effect as in the second image I would suggest (and this isnt a great tutorial as I am not at a machine with PS on it at the moment so cant post screen shots) the following.

Create a rectangular selection around the left most part of the image and then Copy this to a new layer with Ctrl + J.
Shift the selection to the right making sure it lines up perfectly with the first and copy this to a new layer
Do the same for the third panel
Turn off your original background
Expand your canvas to allow for movement of the panels
shift each panel to the right or left using the left and right cursor keys to maintain control over the movement
then add the drop shadows and bevels etc as you described.

FWIW - I personally prefer the way you did it - using the clipping mask - as I think it looks better but the above method doesn't delete the pixels between the panels.

Cheers

John
Hey John, I like your suggestion and it may be easier!

But just so the OP knows, in the technique I described, you can use the Move Tool to quickly shift the individual images when your using clipping masks so there is no "deletion or loss of pixels". In both techniques, your having to shift either the rectangle or the images, so it's really just a matter of preference.

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 7.48.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 7.49.01 AM.png

I always think that using clipping masks is in the long term much more flexible - as it doesn't involve the permanent changing of pixels. So I agree that the method you demonstrated is more flexible.

Cheers

John

Back