What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solid colour Mosaic/ Pixelate help

WrestlingArcade

Hi,
I hope you can help me. I'm having trouble with my Mosaic/ Pixelate tool. I might be using the wrong filter. I basically create little 16-bit animations for social media (example) and I constantly use the Mosaic tool to give images that '16-bit' arcade style. I don't quite no how to explain it, but Is there a way of changing the tool so the pixels are more defined? The image on the left is the Mosaic tool. The image on the right is how I'd like the pixels to look once applied. I've made this with a lot of editing. There must be an easier way? Perhaps using a different tool?
help.jpg

I hope that makes sense. I hope you can help?
Also, hello. I'm new to the forum; I look forward to getting involved.

Brendan

To resize down to the tiny pixel art dimensions, I use the image size dialog box and always select "nearest-neighbor" interpolation, not one of the smoother interpolation algorithms like bicubic. Also, keep NN turned on if you want to bring the image back up to more conventional sizes. As an example, below is a photo that I took from around 3000px square, down to about 30 px square, then brought back up to 700px square using both methods. Obviously, the NN method is the one you want.
Ian-clarke-headshot-acr-ps02a_mosaic_tool_demo-down_to~30px_back_up_to_698-NN-01.jpg
Ian-clarke-headshot-acr-ps03a_resize_down_and_up_with_bicubic-01.jpg

To be honest, I hardly ever use the pixelate / mosaic tool to do this sort of thing, but if it had been giving you hard edges, then my guess is that you accidentally changed it's default image interpolation method in one of the several places this can be set in PS, eg, in preferences/general, in the move tool, in the resize dialog box, etc. etc., but I just don't know off the top of my head which is the setting (if any) controls that particular tool.

HTH,

Tom M

Similar to Tom Mann's example, here is one of an apache helicopter showing original on top then Mosaic, then image resize down and back up using nearest neighbor. I am not aware of options for the Mosaic filter
mosaic-vs-image-resize.jpg

Back