What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I cut text from a video clip?

Cosmic

I've converted the video clip into frame layers in Photoshop CS6 but I want to have the clip playing in the background within the text. In other words, I want everything around the text to not show so only the video is playing within the confines of the text.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

Create the text you want. Turn off the text layer.
Create a new layer above your video frames. Make it the color you want.

Select the new layer.
Cmd/cntrl + click the text layers thumbnail.

You should have a selection of the text.
Create a layer mask.

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 6.33.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 6.37.31 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't figure out why it stalls.................????? There's more video that's not playing.

MrToM

Guru
Just to add a little note....there is no need to convert the video to Frames....keep it as a video layer.

Of course if there is a justified reason for using frames then fine but don't feel that you 'have' to do so.

Use Sams technique straight on top of the video layer...I'm assuming this is what he did in his example although the layers panel shows only one frame of video.

You could also do something similar if you wanted to keep the position of the text 'flexible'.

Have the text layer as a clipping mask to the video.....then have your background behind that.
The video should then only show where the text is and by keeping it 'text' means it gives you the flexibility to edit the text and move it around.

I'm surprised Sam didn't mention 'Clipping paths'.....its one of his favourites!

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have the text layer as a clipping mask to the video.....then have your background behind that.
The video should then only show where the text is and by keeping it 'text' means it gives you the flexibility to edit the text and move it around.

I'm surprised Sam didn't mention 'Clipping paths'.....its one of his favourites!
I thought about it but I wasn't sure about the OP's Photoshop experience and was trying to make it as easy as possible.