What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on How to go about Creating this effect

dj2216

Hi, I'm hoping that this isn't too big an ask. Is anyone able to give me an idea (or point to a tutorial) on how to emulate this effect?

Also, what is the name of this effect? It's pretty much impossible to google something you don't know the word for

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

DJ

harsh-wv6-prints.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
1) Where did that image come from?

2) Are you sure it was made in PS and not by, say, Mathematical software such as Matlab, and then possibly given a final tweaking in PS?

3) If it was made in Photoshop, I would first look at multiple applications of the stagger option of the wind filter, e.g., http://wpapi.com/create-smooth-wind-effect-photoshop/

Tom M

Last edited:

dj2216

Hey Tom

Thanks for your reply.

That particular image is from Society6, but it's one of many that I've seen (mainly on tumblr). It's a very popular effect.

No, I'm not certain it was done in Photoshop. And now that you raise the question, perhaps that is why I've never seen a Photoshop tutorial that covers this. I just assumed it was Photoshop, but it may not have been.

I'll have a look at the wind filter and see how that goes.

Thanks again

DJ

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

There was a thread on an effect similar to this and for the life of me I can't find it. I spent many hours trying to re-create this type of effect in Photoshop and was never able to do it.

dj2216

Thanks Sam

I did some searching and found this image

bwlandscape.jpeg

which was created in a program called Quartz Composer.

Looks like the same kind of thing, so it seems you are right Tom.

Thanks again for your help

DJ

Tom Mann

Guru
IamSam - Was this the thread that you were looking for?
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...522-been-weeks-help-me-figure-out-please.html
dj2216 - Take a look at the thread I cited above. This is what I meant when I said that it could possibly be done with the wind/stagger tool, but, as you can see that thread only produces very two dimensional effects, so one would have to composite a bunch of them (either freehand, or using PS's 3D capabilities) to get the effect in your example. In contrast, in a full mathematical programming / graphics environment one can specify in terms of mathematical algorithms where the spikes should appear, how they should be connected in a 3D space, etc.

HTH,

Tom M