What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increasing the contrast of photographed burrows

honey91

Hello everybody,

First of all: I'm completely new to Photoshop and it is kind of my last resort. I have the following problem: for my study I have to analyse the burrows made by worms in the soil with the use of a computer program. This program however has a lot of difficulties with analysing the photo's because of the changes in the colours, imperfections etc. I hope that somehow I can Photoshop the pictures so that the contrasts of these burrows are a lot higher so that the computer program can recognize them. I just need to analyse a small strip between the points as can be seen in the attached photos. My question is how do I do this? As already said, I'm totally new to Photoshop so a detailed explanation will help me a lot!

Thanks in advance for all the hard work!

1.1.jpgP1010820.1.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Honey

Not exactly sure what you need so focused on just increasing the contrast/clarity of one of the images as an example
1) In PS convert image to Smart Ojbect
2) Apply Camera Raw Filter with the settings shown in image below (I also added some sharpening)

Before and After is shown in the image.

That's all I did. Hope this gives you a direction to try.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 10.05.30 AM.png