What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parsnip

I use a Wacom but my issue has always been the jitter that occurs from pen movement across the tablet getting picked up and making small waves in my lines. I've seen people whose brushes automatically smooth out, from Mike on Penny Arcade to Sweeney Boo (the FB link)*, any advice on how to make my brush strokes do this? Also, what's it actually called for future reference.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/275283535871842/videos/965929306807258/[/video]

*She's using Clip Studio Paint, but it's something I've seen in PS as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToM

Guru
I think you've demonstrated that Photoshop is not the application to use for this type of work.

If this is the style of work you primarily do then maybe investing in an app like Clip Studio Paint (AKA Manga Studio) would be better than trying to get PS to do something that it may not be capable of.

I would think that agentmoeller has explored all the options as this is just the sort of work he does.....I'm sure he would have more useful info for you as to what your options are......its not the sort of work I do so have never really looked into it.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use a Wacom but my issue has always been the jitter that occurs from pen movement across the tablet getting picked up and making small waves in my lines.
Two things can cause that, spacing and size jitter.

In brush tip shape, make sure your spacing is set to 1%.
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 10.33.29 AM.png

Under Shape Dynamics, either turn it off or set the size jitter to 0%.
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 10.34.37 AM.png

On the left is a line made with Shape Dynamics off and on the right is with Shape Dynamics on and about 25-30% size jitter.
Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 10.32.35 AM.png

Brush settings in Ps will definitely do a lot do eliminate some of that jitter. But the Wacom is SO sensitive that, invariably, you are going to get some jitter. Speed and practice with brush strokes will help as well. Tragically, there is no "smoothness" adjustment for the Ps brushes like the SMOOTH tool in Ai.

Agent