What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a yellow removal from a black and white photo

Paul Boyo white

Hi all

I am not a newbie as such but due to lifes trials its been a long while since I have had the chance to do anything with ps.
I am terrible at remembering things if I dont do them constantly and I cannot remember this
I have been asked if I can do anything with this photo and its the size of a credit card.

I cannot think how to get rid of the yellow i assume its felt tip as the lady who owns the photo coloured it in as a child.
if anyone can point me towards the right question or another post I will be very happy.

girl.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Another way you could try is the Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer...

remove_yellow_MT_00.png

Choose 'Red' as the 'Output Channel' and set the Red slider value to +100
The Green and Blue sliders should be set to zero.

Repeat this for the Green and Blue 'Output Channels'.

My example shows the final Blue 'Output Channel' settings but they should all be the same...R=100, G=0, B=0...

remove_yellow_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

thebestcpu

Guru
Here is yet a third technique.
Specifically with JPEG images, the luminosity information is coded into all 3 color channels and the color components end up being considerably compressed. Adjusting or using single R, G, or B channels can bring out JPEG artifacts more than the following approach.

I originally developed this technique a number of years ago to eliminate the luminosity striations in Morie patterns yet the same principal is at work where all color channels are used to create the correct even and smooth luminosity where there are inappropriate colors and then reinserting the desired color.

Links to that original technique: https://vimeo.com/23508129 and http://jkwphoto.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-way-to-remove-moire.html

The following image is the full result and the last image is a screen snapshot showing the Layers Panel and Hue/Sat adjustment Layer settings as well.

- Over the original image put a Hue Sat Adjustment Layer
- Then put a temporary white Layer above it with blend set to color (this creates a luminosity image)
- Adjust the Hue and Saturation to the ideal luminosity match per the video/blog instructions
- Turn off white Layer and add a Layer above to paint in color (set to Blend=Color). I just sampled the girls arm and used that color for the entire image in this example.

Just one more way to consider.

John Wheeler

girl-adj.jpg

Girl-screen-shot.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
...I originally developed this technique a number of years ago to eliminate the luminosity striations in Morie patterns ...
This takes me back ... I think that a discussion of the various Moire minimization techniques over on photo.net a few years ago was where we first met.

Tom M

tuutuutuut

for color adjustment(removal) I would use LAB color mode since you want to keep the luminance or lightning but just want the erase the color yellow.
and then desaturate it.

for color adjustment(removal) I would use LAB color mode since you want to keep the luminance or lightning but just want the erase the color yellow.
and then desaturate it.

Very good idea!
I can't wait to see your version here.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
and then desaturate it.

I was curios so I gave this a try.

Changed to LAB color.
Desaturated.

I had to revert back to RGB in order to save as JPG.
girl copy.jpg

tuutuutuut

my version?

I am @work with no adobe installed, sorry
but in my minds eye the result is the same as example below from IAMSAM.

when you use RGB mode and change color in any way, you change every pixel.

there are good examples on youtube where you can see how to change hair color without disrupting the shading/luminance etcetera.

Tom Mann

Guru
IMHO, any method that doesn't allow adjustment to the luminosity of the yellow areas is not satisfactory. This luminosity adjustment may be part of the conversion to grayscale step (eg, , or it may be a separate step/layer, but, IMHO, it must be there.

The reason is that we have absolutely no idea of whether the coloring method used may have changed the luminosity of the yellow areas in addition to giving them color. It may have brightened these areas, darkened them, or did nothing to their luminosity. We just don't know. So IMHO, this excludes the simple "use Lab" suggestion or any suggestion for a general approach to such problems that has specified settings. Obviously, specific settings for any one particular image are fine.

The I think that the only way to tell if our removal of yellow is true to the original is to look on the parts of the skin (not dress) that were accidentally colored yellow and adjust their brightness until these areas match the surrounding skin. The area on the subjects lower left (viewer's right) leg is a good area for such a determination. OTOH, the junction between the girl's upper right arm (covered by her dress), and the uncovered skin further down on that arm is not a good area to judge the true luminosity of the yellow areas because one should be comparing a colored area of skin to an uncolored area of skin.

With this in mind, I experimented with this approach and came up with a version in which, compared to her skin, her dress was somewhat brighter than in anyone else's version.

Also, for fun, I tried to see if I could extract any more detail out of the dress. I used a combination of Topaz Detail and the anti-shake filter. I think the detail I pulled out is real, but looks a bit overcooked, so I probably would turn down this effect if I was doing this for real.

Fun!

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - Obviously, I made no attempt to repair the cracks in the print or the speckles in her skin introduced by the sharpening that I employed.

Attachments

• girl-tjm01-ps02a_698px_hi-02_BW.jpg
    girl-tjm01-ps02a_698px_hi-02_BW.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 7