What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this more "natural"?

F4bien

Hello everyone,

For a photobooth project, I made this photoshop:
Slide.jpg

This photoshop is composed by 2 photos (background with people + box).

I made some modifications:
- strech the background
- add an effect to make the "white" of the box whiter

But I am not still convinced by the visuel. I found it to much "amateur" like a bad mountage, not enough natural.

Do you agree with me?

I really want something natural (for the wood) and beautifull colors.

What would you do?

PS: you could find my PSD in attached pieceView attachment Slide.psd

using the gradient tool (radial / black / white) on the layer mask of this woody object and then apply filter 'lens blur' with alpha layer selected.
it will generate a 'bokeh effect/depth of field'

also there is no cast of shadow on the foreground.

You'll need to learn working with light.
In your composite the light is coming from behind the 'jumping girls'. The 'box' isn't showing any highlights nor shadows.

Slide.jpg

Use gradients and/or dodge and burn tools.

using the gradient tool (radial / black / white) on the layer mask of this woody object and then apply filter 'lens blur' with alpha layer selected.
it will generate a 'bokeh effect/depth of field'

also there is no cast of shadow on the foreground.
Yeah, I tried to follow your instructions and could not make this work. I really tried. You will have to provide some images to support your explanation.

I followed your advices:

I had for the wood box:
- a gradient overlay (black/white from the top to the bottom with a little angle)
- a drop shadow with the same direction than before

For the background, I had a lens blur effect.

Here is the result:
Img.jpg

it's better!

I have an additional question:
Now I made the "lens blur" effect, I can't cancel it. Is there a non destructive way to do it?

Nice try, i think you need to adapt a little better the left part of the picture to the right part, and remove the sshadows of the box, something like this, (This is a fast example very porly done).

G3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the real problem is simply that the box-like device that the OP is attempting to add looks so utterly fake - at best, an unrealistic attempt at a 3d render, whereas the background image is clearly a nice, realistic photo, so, no matter how one tries to shade the box, soften the edges, or make other minor changes, it's always going to look like a fake.

IMHO, if one would start with a more realistic device, one would have a much easier time producing a convincing composite. For example, here's something I grabbed off the web and composited in.

Tom M

Attachments

• tjm01-re_composite-ps02a-01.jpg
    tjm01-re_composite-ps02a-01.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 4
I was not a home those last days so I reply just now.

Tom, your opinion is important for me. As you said "it's always going to look like a fake." with minor changes.

So I decided to keep my last picture. It's pretty much good for my use :)

And thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Love it! Glad you got something you can use out of the discussion here on PSG.

T

Back