What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with fixing shading on photo

Hi all

I need advice on how to retouch a black and white photo. Basically the blush on the cheek appears to be too strong. I want to tone it down as the contour on the face looks too dramatic for a bride!
Should I use the dodge and burn tool? I thought of using clone stamp tool but then i dont want to eliminate the blush altogether as the face will otherwise look flat.

Please advise! I am completely new to adobe,using CS 6.0 with a basic wacom board. Am trying to learn to fix my pre wed photos [emoji21]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Paul

Former Member
Images usually help us out more so than just a description.

So i should add an extra layer to ensure its non destructive editing, then just use dodge tool? Or do i then add in another adjustment layer with 50% gray and dodge from there....

colleague

Guru
I would copy the layer and dodge on that layer , because I want to effect the shadows only
for other projects I often prefer to dodge on a 50% grey layer with 'linear light'-mode

but the image is so small ,that I would resize it 200 % first

gedstar

Guru
You could use Eggy's method but first convert the image to a smart object and then mask out what you don't want!

Untitled1.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Blank layer over screen grab matched local area of skin colour painted over shine on cheek dropped opacity 10% bingo.

chk.jpg

Thanks guys. What i did eventually was add layer 50% gray then used brush with white foreground and paint over the cheek. I dont know why the dodge tool didnt work at all. No effect. Cause its black and white?