What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Highlight/Shadow effect

Donut

Hi guys! Noob here. i'm trying to figure out how to get a highlight/shadow effect like the one in the ring in the image below.

2hweow1.png

I think two circles were made, filled with different colors, then add mask on layer -> ctrl+i -> brush or something similar. I've made some experiments but none of them was successfull. Someone willing to help me?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you tried Bevel & Emboss in a layer style?

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.30.20 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Ged! Great minds!

Start with a ring....
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.34.32 AM.png

Add a Bevel &Emboss (these are my actual settings)
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.35.11 AM.png

Add a contour to the B&E.
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.35.35 AM.png

Donut

Thank you both, very clear explaination. :)
I've tried and it worked, however the result i got seems to me of lower quality than yours.
5tz1jp.png
I used the same settings of iamsam apart from chisel hard instead of smooth. What i got wrong now? :/ Pardon for being so noob.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Be sure and look over all of my settings, I changed quite a few of them. If you changed one thing, your going to get different results. Don't be afraid to make some changes of your own. Experiment.

gedstar

Guru
Here's another I made with different settings to Sam, as Sam said you need to experiment to get the desired effect

Untitled.jpg

Donut

Yup but in your rings both external and internal parts have highlights and shadows. In the one i made, only the external part have them, while the internal is still monocromatic.

rkwry9.png

The point is that using your same settings the result is ok only for an half.

gedstar

Guru
Can you post a screenshot of layer style panel and the layers you have

gedstar

Guru
OK this is what I done
First create the circle with the Ellipse Tool
image2.jpg

With these settings
image1.jpg

Draw the shape
image3.jpg

Open Layer Styles Panel and select Bevel and Emboss and change the depth to 1000
image4.jpg

Then change the size to about 80
image5.jpg

OGonzo

Hi guys! Noob here. i'm trying to figure out how to get a highlight/shadow effect like the one in the ring in the image below.

2hweow1.png

I think two circles were made, filled with different colors, then add mask on layer -> ctrl+i -> brush or something similar. I've made some experiments but none of them was successfull. Someone willing to help me?

Hey I have another solution you can try. Although like everyone had mentioned, the bevel and emboss usually does the trick.
So this is pretty simple:

1. First create your circle with the ellipse tool. then use the gradient tool diagonally. I picked the colors using the eyedropper tool right from the image you posted. In this case i picked out 3 colors for the gradient (you can always edit your gradients).

2. Then i create another circle in a different layer using the ellipse tool and use the same gradient diagonally but going in the opposite direction. And just resize the circle to the desired size (use the transform option).

3. After that I simply created another circle in a different layer with that darker gray color and used the brush tool with a lighter gray to give it a highlight and create a "shadow". And then resize it smaller.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• circle 1.png
    circle 1.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
  • circle 2.png
    circle 2.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
  • top circle.png
    top circle.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 14

Donut

Thank you gedstar, it worked perfectly fine!
I'll try the other method too, just to see with which one i am more confident.
Thank you for your replies guys, really appreciated.