What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance on how to create this particular effect

charliemarco1

Hi there!

I'm new to photoshop and really was interesting in creating this sort of effect with the software. I realize the original picture probably wasn't created with photoshop...but hopefully there is a way to do it! Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Fader_Drake_Peckmezian_high_res_v3-2015-08-31_010_auffnh.jpg

Overall, I'm trying to get this pink/baby blue highlighting and shadowing going on a picture of someone.

Thanks again. :)

- Charlie

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, sorry that I did not get a chance to work on this until today.

Here is one of the more simple ways to accomplish this effect. I'm sure there are other ways.

First I took the original image and isolated the subject from his BG.
I then created a layer below the subject layer and added a white BG.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.20.43 AM.png

Next I created two new layers above the subject layer, one I named Pink and one blue.

I set the Foreground/Background colors (Color Picker) to the Blue and Pink colors I wanted to use.

I made a selection of the subject using Cmd/Cntrl + click the subjects thumbnail.
One by one, I then highlighted each of the color layers, and filled in the perspective color.

I also added a Gaussian Blur to each of the color layers.

Lastly, I used the move Tool to move the color layers to the left and the right.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.22.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.22.27 AM.png

So this is what I have after the steps above.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.22.43 AM.png

Now I added layer masks to each of the color layers.

Using the Brush Tool with a soft brush, I masked out the areas in the center of the subject to match your original example. Note that I left the strips on the edges of the jacket.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.44.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 11.23.48 AM.png

Last edited: