What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing a single image among many?

bah

Hi, I'm using Photoshop CS6, and I was wondering if there was a way to resize a SINGLE image when you have more than one image in the same window?

This can easily be done when there's only one image in the window. You just have to choose the Rectangular Marquee Tool to highlight the single image, and then choose the Crop Tool, and you end up with little corners you can drag every which way. You can also go to Image > Image Size and toggle with the dimensions there.

HOWEVER, I notice this cannot be done when you have multiple images in the same window. For example, if you want to create a collage of multiple photos, you need to open up a window for EACH IMAGE, and then go to Image > Image Size and make sure all the dimensions are proportional to the other images you'll collate. And then once you finish resizing, you drag all the images into one single window, resize canvas, crop, etc. This is a bit inconvenient for obvious reasons. You can't see the actual images you'll be juxtaposing while you're resizing. Sometimes I'll resize and drag it to the FINAL WINDOW with all the images, only to realize one of the images I resized looks better larger or smaller, etc etc.

Is there a feature in Photoshop where I can resize a SINGLE photo? I can't just select the Rectangular Marquee Tool and highlight an image when it's in a pool of other images. For whatever reason, the draggy corners don't appear. I suspect I probably need to convert these images to some other form. Photoshop seems a bit complicated that way. Prior to this, I used Fireworks, which is far inferior to the capabilities of Photoshop, but very user friendly and straight forward. You just click on the image and it was business as usual...

Thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try Free Transform. Multiple images within a single document (such as a collage) would be on their own separate layers. Simply highlight the layer you would like transform.

Cmd/Cntrl + T

EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM

EDIT . TRANSFORM

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
You could also use the Auto Select feature, that way you just need to click on the image and hit CTRL + T to Free Transform

Untitled.jpg

Graham Smith

Banned
Select the image you want to resize and press shft + Cntrl/cmd + J to move to another layer, then resize using cntrl/cmd + T

bah

You could also use the Auto Select feature, that way you just need to click on the image and hit CTRL + T to Free Transform

View attachment 63372

Thank you guys so much!

I had another question. Is there a way to crop a SINGLE picture, as well? I notice when I try to crop, it crops all the layers...?

gedstar

Guru
Hi Bah

You can't crop a single layer, although you could make a selection with the rectangle marquee tool of what you want to crop hit CTRL C to copy the selection then delete that layer and then hit CRTL V to paste that selection back into your composite

Make your selection with the Rectangle Marquee Tool
selection.jpg

Hit CRTL C to copy the selection and then Delete the Layer or you could just hide that layer
delete layer.jpg

Hit CTRL V to paste the selection back into your composite
paste.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just to add to geds example.

You can use the Rectangular Marquis Tool to make a selection of the image/layer you would like "crop".....
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.26.48 AM.png

......and then add a layer mask by clicking the "add layer mask" icon located at the bottom left of the layers panel.
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.27.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.27.11 AM.png

This is a non-destructive technique and does not create a new layer that would have to be managed.

Last edited: