What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editable text portrait effect

Ross82

Hi all,
I'm new on this website icon_smile.gif
I'm looking for help to create an image like this one.... maybe a tutorial I can follow.
Actually I'm not sure it was created by photoshop...
Any advise will be appreciate!
TNKS!!

Ross

Picture 1 - Model low.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 1 - Model.JPG
    Picture 1 - Model.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • Picture 1 - Model low.jpg
    Picture 1 - Model low.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 3

Ross82

Thank you IamSam!
you are right, and I just tried to found a tutorial on google... but I need to create an image exactly the same as the one I posted... and I hadn't found nothing similar! :rolleyes:

Ross82

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lets see your results.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, are you saying that none of the tutorials are helping you to create the effect?

If so, what about the effect in your sample image are you not able to reproduce?

Ross82

I had to reproduce the simple image effect on another image and it's my best result:

NewPicture_04 low.jpg

It's more or less similar but not so nice :(
My doubt is, I'm doing something wrong or this effect is not created by photoshop?
Hope now my question is clear!
Thank you for your help.

Ross82

Attachments

• NewPicture_04.jpg
    NewPicture_04.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 3

Tom Mann

Guru
Another good reference for this sort of effect is this thread:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...hanging-light-dark-areas-readability-how.html

... particularly, post #10 through the end of the thread.

Also, note that in that thread, Sam and I comment on how seemingly small changes in the procedure / settings can have large visual effects. One can't assume that the exact procedure and settings that work on the image in a tutorial will be optimal for a different image. One alway has to adjust to fit the situation at hand.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Using Color range, I go from this.........
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.45.39 PM.png

to this.......
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.45.51 PM.png

Ross82

Ok, yes I tried to use colore range but the effect was really different from the sample picture I had to refer.
My problem is obtain something really close to my sample.

Now I will try to follow the #10 of thread Tom Mann linked me... hope it works!

Thank you guys! Keep you update.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Each image will give a slightly different effect and may not perfectly match your sample image.

This one required some layer masking.
From this......
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 1.33.59 PM.png

To this....
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 1.35.04 PM.png

Get it a bit too dark an you lose some of the details in the girls face on the right.
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 1.35.55 PM.png

Ross82

Yes, you are right!
But I think the problem is the picture itself, because it's not a very good photo, and it is not a portrait. So I miss the main part of the face I have to empathize.
I tried to create the same effect with another picture and it works really better:

different example.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Thought I would take a shot at this.

1) The images below are the original image
2) Layer Stack
3) Resulting Image

All I did was make all the background text (adjust kerning and line spacing and a good bold font - I should have removed all spaces between words yet did not)
Made that a Smart Object
Added underlying white Layer
Added the Original Image above with Blend set to Hard Mix
Then I applied Gaussian Blur to the Text Smart Object just to the amount that gave a good effect
Then on top added a curves adjustment Layer clipped to the portrait image.

The whole goal was to solely adjust the boldness of the Text via the portrait and Hard Mix Blend. Came close I think

girl-624223-original.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 4.03.43 PM.png

girl-624223-bold-modulated.jpg

The white speckles are just the white space between the words so that could be fixed very easily by removing the white space

I also played with just adding part of the original image for background yet that is optional and not shown above.

Just for grins I pulled out the white space to see how it changed and here it is:

girl-624223-white-space-removed.jpg

One last version where I took out commas and periods in the text. Looks a bit better

girl-624223-no-punctuation.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is using Threshold. I looks flat.
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 6.39.28 PM.png

This is using Color Range and a Curves adjustment layer. Has better depth.
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 6.43.09 PM.png

Last edited:

Ross82

Wow! Thank you thebestcpu!!!
I do not try yet this method and it's really close to my sample!
Thank you again

Ross82

thebestcpu

Guru
Your welcome Ross82

I actually think your sample is a combination of "text weighting" as well as original image showing up "between the character spaces. Glad to be of help and I enjoyed the exercise as I came up with the technique on the fly so it was a learning experience for me too.

John Wheeler

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Ross - If you need this effect is be as close as possible to your example image, then you have received some excellent technique suggestions, complete with examples, to accomplish this.

However, to be honest, in many of these examples, I personally don't like how the dark text gets darker in areas where the background image is dark, so, instead, I would use a method that makes the text more visible in these areas, namely, putting the text into difference layer blending mode, or at least stroking the dark text with a thin white line to make it more visible. The first of these possibilities was discussed in the thread I referenced earlier:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...bility-how-post1533643612.html#post1533643612

...and, here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Attachments

• Abraham_Lincoln_November_1863-tjm01_crop-acr-ps22a_tjm_alternate2_698px_hi-antiqued-01.jpg
    Abraham_Lincoln_November_1863-tjm01_crop-acr-ps22a_tjm_alternate2_698px_hi-antiqued-01.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 8