What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create a Gift Voucher?

ElizabethM

Hello!

I have a cilent asking me to create for them a foldable gift voucher, they want it the size of a long rectangular envelope and to be able to simply print once side, then another and fold it in half. Think of it almost like when you make a birthday card and you fold the paper in half, there's a top and then there's the "inside". They want something like that.

My question is, how do I make that for them? I'm been searching around the net for templates but I can't seem to find anything fitting what I need. Could somebody give me some tips on how I can start designing please?

Many thanks in advanceeee!

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It may be difficult to find an appropriate template for your specs.

What's your needed size? I might be able to help create one for you.

But if you can do it yourself , this may help you. Just add a fourth of an inch for the bleed area to your required size..... ex. 5 x 7 - 5.25 x 7.25.

5x7 Template.jpg

You will need 2 files for the artwork.... one for the voucher front and the other for the voucher contents. The needed artworks (front) and voucher values ("inside") are to be positioned on the right side of the template.

ElizabethM

Thank you everybody for your replies, links and tips!

Especially @dv8_fx with that guideline image. It is kind of you to offer to help create it, but this is something I wish to learn to do so I'll figure it out somehow. I think I manage to understand the basic concept of how things get printed out and now with your added information, I'll figure it out. Slowly? Haha

If I have to add this later to a word template (it's what they asked for) would I have to put one side on one page and the other on another page?

Thanks again for all the help!

Paul

Former Member
Great stuff Lizzy, one of my links id for a Word document we would love to see how you get on with this.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If I have to add this later to a word template (it's what they asked for) would I have to put one side on one page and the other on another page?

Does this mean you're creating the entire layout design in WORD?

It's been years since I've done a card design using WORD Templates and I might have wrong recall of it but I think there's no need to add the bleed area. The printers will do that.

To do this in WORD or PUBLISHER, select a template that closely matches your voucher size and design contents. If there's none, simply select any that closely matches your folded specs as you can edit the layout size and page orientation as well as add edit or change the text and content items in the preset layout.

In the case of your 2-fold specs, your document will have 4 pages.... page 1 - voucher front, page 2 & 3 - inside top or left side (empty) and bottom or right side (voucher value), page 4 - voucher back (empty).

You can also use a 2-page layout containing just the design components but you must explain to the printer or include a voucher sample printout which they can follow accordingly.....

If everything is done in PS, there's no need to do layout in WORD. Just send the psd file or save as a pdf......

The printers will know how to handle it and like the WORD template, will do the rest like adding in the crop marks and needed color registrations as well as lining up the art for printing.

A quick way to create a sample voucher is to add border lines to the TRIM LINE edges of the design and print it out.... Cut along the lines and line up/glue the cut print-outs back to back. Fold..... viola.....

ElizabethM

Does this mean you're creating the entire layout design in WORD?

It's been years since I've done a card design using WORD Templates and I might have wrong recall of it but I think there's no need to add the bleed area. The printers will do that.

To do this in WORD or PUBLISHER, select a template that closely matches your voucher size and design contents. If there's none, simply select any that closely matches your folded specs as you can edit the layout size and page orientation as well as add edit or change the text and content items in the preset layout.

In the case of your 2-fold specs, your document will have 4 pages.... page 1 - voucher front, page 2 & 3 - inside top or left side (empty) and bottom or right side (voucher value), page 4 - voucher back (empty).

You can also use a 2-page layout containing just the design components but you must explain to the printer or include a voucher sample printout which they can follow accordingly.....

If everything is done in PS, there's no need to do layout in WORD. Just send the psd file or save as a pdf......

The printers will know how to handle it and like the WORD template, will do the rest like adding in the crop marks and needed color registrations as well as lining up the art for printing.

A quick way to create a sample voucher is to add border lines to the TRIM LINE edges of the design and print it out.... Cut along the lines and line up/glue the cut print-outs back to back. Fold..... viola.....

Thanks for the tips! :') I managed to convince them that a having it printed out in hard paper makes the vouchers much nicer to recieve so thankfully I won't have to make the entire thing in a word document. Your shock over it being done in the first place shows how outdated the process is. Haha but thank you nonetheless, I'll keep that in mind should by chance anybody ever ask for such work again.