What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Animating a GIF correctly in CC

Hello!

I would need some help with a thing im making for my workplace, its an animation GIF thats made so people would notice that our local radio station also exist at facebook. Iits supposed to phase away some stuff but its like frames disappear so it doesnt look as good as it does in photoshop when ive exported it as a gif.

FB_addbanner.gif

As you can see both the fadeout of the text and thumbs up ... etc doesnt fade all the way! I dont know what to do to fix it. Ive been trying my best to find a solution but they mostly show me what i already know or done.

I tried one thing that felt like it was spot on, where you export it as a quicktime animation, but the problem is that I cant folow through the steps cause.. it freezes the program.
This is the site I found which I thougth had the solution - > http://www.stoneleighphotography.com/making-a-gif-in-cs6-photoshop/

Please help, im getting rather frustrated by this point. Im the only one here that knows anything about animations etc and its kinda limited.

Thanks in advance

Thank you :)
I cant watch the youtube yet, but i checked the others and the problem is that those are based on frame by frame, while i use the animation tool in photoshop CC.
In the program everything goes smoothly, but outside when saved it turns into what you see above :(

MrToM

Guru
Its very difficult to suggest any solution to animated gifs without having the original PSD file from which the animation is created....all you've posted is the end result of the process.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Animation tool'.....and all animated gifs are frame based...that's how they work.

If you can post the original PSD file it would make it much easier to find a solution for you.....and a clear, concise description on what the animation 'should' look like.

Failing that the only thing I could suggest is turn OFF 'Do Not Dispose' for every frame.....and set it to 'Automatic'.

You'll find this option at the bottom LEFT of every frame.....it looks like a bunch of grapes.....select every frame and right click that icon on one of them.....choose 'Automatic'....the 'grapes' should disappear.

grapes_MT_01.png

You may not notice any difference when you play it in PS but it may have an effect when exported as an animated gif.

No guarantee this will do anything at all but difficult to say without having it to play with.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The main problem I see is that your still using frame animation with tweening. You should be using the Video Timeline.

However the problem can be solved by adding some extra blank frames at frame #51 and changing their delay times.
Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 9.55.37 AM.png

Note: For some reason, my saved version plays much faster, I would have to adjust all of the time delays.
FB_addbanner2.1.gif

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...How did you manage to fix it?...
LOL....I didn't, I cheated! :thumbsup:

You said that what you had in PS was OK and that it was just the 'gif' that was corrupt....so....I just saved the video out to an mp4 file, (FILE > EXPORT > RENDER VIDEO), then used an online converter to convert it to a gif.

All I did was to save the video as an mp4 using these settings...

save_mp4_settings_MT_01.png

Its pretty much default...you just need to select an output location, make sure the format is H.264, the size is 'Document Size' and the frame rate is 24.

Once saved as an mp4, upload it to an online converter...

I tried several before finding this one...

https://cloudconvert.com/mp4-to-gif

Its quick, simple and works well.

Cheating I know, but... :)

If you want to do it 'In - House' rather than an online converter...

Save as an mp4 as above.
Then use FILE > IMPORT > VIDEO FRAMES TO LAYERS and load in the mp4 video you just saved. (You can use all the default settings)
Once imported as 'FRAMES' use FILE > SAVE FOR WEB (or whatever version you have) to save out to an animated 'gif'.

It looks like this...

PS_conversion_gif_MT_01.gif

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
Awesome! thats the solution way I tried in the beginning but the work computer kept freeezing so i couldnt make it into a video at all. ( i almsot started to pull my hairs in frustration )
Thanks alot for the help!