What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop file size

MPCSound

Hello everyone. I have a question about saving in Photoshop. I started doing edits for star trails, and for obvious reasons, the file size is enormous when the piece is completed. After a lot of work, I can never save the project, to make small edits with, as a 2G limit is attached to the files.

Are there any ways, besides lowering the resolution of the original images, to store the project for later? I was thinking a linked file solution, so that every image is not saved in the .psd file and lowers the size of the file to metadata only. I am new and am not familiar with every bell and whistle available to me ... Yet!

If there is a workflow for this, I would love to read more about it.

Thanks!

Michael P. Clark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Mann

Guru
Sure - just save it as a PSB (not PSD) file. See:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html

Perhaps u are already doing the following, but, of course, you should first consider less brute force methods of reducing the size such as whether or not u can combine some layers, work with only 8 bits per channel instead of 16 or 32 bpc (... I have no idea what u are currently using), use adjustment layers instead of storing each adjustment in a separate real layer, etc, etc.

HTH,

Tom M

MPCSound

Thank you, Tom. Assume the worst, as I have not implemented a workflow for file size management yet. Thank you for that link. I am reading up on everything you mentioned. Being Star Trails, I can certainly combine many of these layers.

Thanks!

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MPCSound

Perhaps u are already doing the following, but, of course, you should first consider less brute force methods of reducing the size

Is this saying that a PSB is compressing at its own accord, or other file size manipulations? As I noticed a decrease in size from the "Doc:" measurement in PS, and the final saved PSB by 800MB.

Thanks

Michael