What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove Boarder Around Icon

gregorywolf

Hello -

Let me begin by saying I am very new to Photoshop and am trying to learn as I go along. I have tried looking for similar posts in the forum but I cannot seem to find the "magic" formula to accomplish my goal. I use Photoshop Elements 14 on a MacBook. I am trying to remove what appears to be a border around an icon in order to give the appearance of the icon floating. I have played with layer masks, saving the files as different formats, and making the background transparent. Both the of the following examples are PNG files. When I examine then in PS Elements I cannot figure out what is different about these files. Any and all input would be so appreciated. Thank you.

The first image below (AAA logo) has the border. The second image (Bjango logo) does not have the border and gives the appearance of "floating".
Border.png No Border.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I'm not familiar with Elements 14.

If your just wanting to remove the border, use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to make a selection around the logo.
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 8.25.39 AM.png

Then add a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 8.25.59 AM.png

Add a new layer below the logo layer and fill it with white.
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 8.26.06 AM.png

If you don't want two layers just merge them.

I have no idea what you mean by floating. For me, neither of these appear to be floating.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you remove the white bg and add a drop shadow.......then it appears to be floating.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 8.31.23 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ah you beat me this time Sam :thumbsup:
Sorry Ged, I wasn't trying to.

I'm grateful to have other members who like to help out, it's what our forum is about. I say go ahead and post, you may have ideas that I don't think about.

gedstar

Guru
Maybe this is more long winded than your method, I just used the Magic Wand Tool outside the border and expanded the selection by 3 px and hit delete the rest would have been the same as yours

border.jpg

gregorywolf

Hi. Thank you for the reply. This is very helpful. However, I need to make a further clarification. Please do not get angry; I am doing my best. The outline around the border is not part of the the actual AAA logo PNG file. Both AAA and Bjango look identical when I view them using PS Elements. It is when I drop AAA into another program that the border appears. Oddly though the border only appears for AAA and NOT for Bjango. This is the reason I was thinking that it might have to do to the actual image within Elements.

gedstar

Guru
Hi
You say "The outline around the border is not part of the the actual AAA logo PNG file"
Can you post the actual AAA logo PNG File, the one that's posted obviously has a border in it.

P.S. you don't have to worry we don't get angry around here, it's a friendly place :thumbsup:
Although we may do some of this the odd time :slap: but it's usually more of this :beerchug:

gregorywolf

Hi. I am attaching both the AAA and bjango logos.

Attachments

• Border.png
    Border.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 29
  • No Border.png
    No Border.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 28

gedstar

Guru
Sorry but I'm confused I assume this is the border you're talking about
Border.jpg
Can you post a screenshot of the logo's in Photoshop Elements so we can see what you are seeing
If you're on Windows just hit the Print Screen key on the keyboard and paste into mspaint and save the image and post here
If you on a MAC
http://www.printscreenmac.com/

Here's the Logo PNG without the border in case this is what you're looking for
NoBorder.png

Tom Mann

Guru
gregorywolf - The fundamental problem seems to be that at some point in the handling of this file, your AAA logo was saved with a white background and dark edge, and was not a completely transparent background, ie, with no white and no dark edge.

Two things typically confuse people first starting to work with transparent backgrounds:

a) The jpg file type does not support transparency, so it should never be used if you want a transparent background. Instead, use a PNG file type when a transparent background is desired, eg, for use on a website.

b) If a PNG file with a transparent background is viewed in a browser with a white background, (eg, the way the in-line previews in this forum look), the background will appear white, just as if the background hadn't been correctly removed.

Another problem working with the file you posted is that the resolution is so low (ie, only about 100 pixels on a side for the logo itself) that one runs into all sorts of edge artifacts (eg, anti-aliasing, compression, stair-stepping) if you try to remove the background from the image you posted. The easiest way is to start from a much higher resolution image, remove the background at that size, and then down-rez to whatever size you need for your project as the very last step. This is what I did below.

I have attached the starting file, and then show the logo (after I removed the white background) with various other color backgrounds. Note that when I re-inserted a white background, it looks indistinguishable from the original. The final attachment is the PNG with a transparent background. Of course, it won't look transparent when viewed on this forum, but it actually is. The file names describe the content of the files.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - As I said, you need to resize my PNG to whatever size you need for your project.

PPS - You will see a lot of jpg artifacts when viewing the in-line forum previews. Double click to look at the full size versions, and you will see that the files are clean.

Attachments

• AAA-3kpx-_0000_original.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0000_original.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 5
  • AAA-3kpx-_0001_white bkgnd removed.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0001_white bkgnd removed.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 3
  • AAA-3kpx-_0002_on black bkgnd.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0002_on black bkgnd.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 4
  • AAA-3kpx-_0003_on grey bkgnd.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0003_on grey bkgnd.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 5
  • AAA-3kpx-_0004_on green bkgnd.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0004_on green bkgnd.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 4
  • AAA-3kpx-_0005_white bkgnd re-inserted.jpg
    AAA-3kpx-_0005_white bkgnd re-inserted.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 3
  • aaa_3kpx_wide-ps01a-01_white_bkgnd_removed2_png.png
    aaa_3kpx_wide-ps01a-01_white_bkgnd_removed2_png.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

thebestcpu

Guru
I'll take a guess at this that the PNG file that you read into Photoshop was one that is not compatible with PS. There are several types of PNG that do not read well into PS. What happens to one flavor is that the transparency mask gets dropped when read.

I don't now what type of computer you have yet on a Mac, when I read the PNG into Preview and then save it back out, it saves in a PNG format that is compatible with PS and the problem goes away.

Do you have a link to the original image online to verify if that is the issue (i.e. the original source website of the PNG)?

John Wheeler

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, that's how I started, as well. The only slight difference is that I searched Google Images using the search phrase, {AAA logo}, and constrained the search to files larger than a thousand pixels or so in the long direction.

T

PS - I do hope the OP returns to this thread.

gregorywolf

All - Thank you for all of the replies!!!! Everything is quite helpful. I need to spend some time sifting through the replies and then absorb the information. I will come back with additional questions if necessary.