What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make curved scale with hash marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdouble

image.jpeg
Thanks for accepting me on your wonderful forum I've been looking around and there's a lof of knowledge here.

I am an electronics hobbyist and have played with photoshop here and there but this time I'd like to know the right way to draw this.

I need to print out an altered face following the original design. Then I can glue it on the original face.

I have to believe it would be easier to make a new scale rather than trying to mask and copy but even then how do apply the radius to it.

It just crossed my mind perhaps this is more of job for illustrator?

What do you guys think

Thanks in advance
Micheal from Michigan

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
As you've not specified exactly what changes you want to make here are some general things that may help you.

1. Make the document fairly large. You are dealing with thin lines so the bigger you can make it the better.

2. When dealing with 'sectors' of a circle its almost always easier to create the whole circle first and then delete, or more preferably, mask out, what you don't need.

3. Use 'shapes' for all the graduation marks.

4. Adopt a 'mirror, duplicate and rotate' approach...you can then use the 'Step and repeat' technique to quickly create your graduations.

5. Keep any text you create as 'editable' text...this will keep everything in the document as vectors.

6. You certainly don't need Illustrator....PS has everything you need...and its a lot easier to use too.

Regards.
MrToM.

hawkeye

Guru
This can also be done by stroking a path with a brush. Make a vertical brush as shown, set the angle jitter to direction and adjust the spacing as needed.

Attachments

• Untitled20160516081244.jpg
    Untitled20160516081244.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2

Mrdouble

As you've not specified exactly what changes you want to make here are some general things that may help you.

1. Make the document fairly large. You are dealing with thin lines so the bigger you can make it the better.

2. When dealing with 'sectors' of a circle its almost always easier to create the whole circle first and then delete, or more preferably, mask out, what you don't need.

3. Use 'shapes' for all the graduation marks.

4. Adopt a 'mirror, duplicate and rotate' approach...you can then use the 'Step and repeat' technique to quickly create your graduations.

5. Keep any text you create as 'editable' text...this will keep everything in the document as vectors.

6. You certainly don't need Illustrator....PS has everything you need...and its a lot easier to use too.

Regards.
MrToM.

Nice! Pretty much changes are values. Love the signature lol. BAD ASS

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Can you give me some hints as to how you did this? It's perfect. What's AI?

Use the rectangular selection tool to draw a rectangle around the 150 (for example) and use the transform scew to rectifie the numbers.
AI thats Adobe Illustrator (vector program like CorelDraw)

Mrdouble

Oh, ok. I thought you made from scratch. It's so clean, how did you clean it up? I tried to capture and render like you did but I got all the feathering and looked terrible.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Use 'select/color range'. Play with the sliders to select the dark parts (text) to get the best result (It wont be perfect).
Make a new layer from you selection (ctrl+J)
Clean up as much as you can with a layer mask (or if you must the eraser).
Make copy's of that selection (ctrl+J) until the text is good visible.
Select it (ctrl+thumbnail), copy and cut, clean the canvas with eraser and paste the text.
Select it (ctrl+thumbnail) and go over it with a brush in black color.
Clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.