What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redrawing tapering off lines

ekerik220

Hello, I'm trying to figure out a good way to delete some text off a background cleanly. I've tried content-aware fill but it just makes a mess of it in this case. Here's the image:

taperinglines.png

It's the purple 'light' effect that I'm trying to redraw. I've tried using the clone stamp on an adjacent bunch of lines, but since they run along a slightly different angle it just produced a crooked effect. I also tried using the pen to make a selection for each tiny line that runs under any of the letters and then use the brush to fill in each line that way -- this worked okay, but it was easy to miss a spot and fairly time consuming. Also, I've tried just moving one character + a chunk of the area around it onto another layer and then doing a content aware fill -- this worked pretty well, I just had to fill in some parts it missed, but still the effect looked a bit off on close inspection.

How would you guys go about this?

Tom Mann

Guru
Are you aware that the clone stamp tool includes an angular offset adjustment as well as the much more commonly used X & Y translation offsets?

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Have you tried just copying and moving some of the existing sunburst pattern to cover the text? You may need t add a mask to the copies for blending.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a really quick stab at it..........

I made a selection with the Lasso Tool.
Copied the selection to it's own layer.
Used the Move Tool to move the selection.
Used Free Transform to rotate the selection.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.40.33 PM.png

Then I added a layer mask and used the Brush Tool to blend in the selection.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.42.13 PM.png

It changes it slightly, but works very well.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.54.06 PM.png

Last edited:

ekerik220

Thanks for the help, guys!
Tom Mann: I didn't know about that! Now that I've looked it up I can see there were a number of features with clone stamp I wasn't using. I'll definitely have to play around with that, thanks.
IamSam: Wow, that looks great! I tried to reproduce it myself and I'm fairly happy with the result. It doesn't look quite as nice as your example, but as a beginner I'm pretty happy with it. When you say you added a layer mask and blended with the brush do you mean you just added a white layer mask and touched around the edges with a soft black brush to smooth out the hard edge?

Thanks again!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you say you added a layer mask and blended with the brush do you mean you just added a white layer mask and touched around the edges with a soft black brush to smooth out the hard edge?
Yes, exactly that!