What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

greencat

Hi! I am trying to make a wave out of an existing image of sheet music. When I did it in a smaller scale for the mock-up it turned out beautifully, but I can not get the larger file for the actual project to behave the same way. I have been using the wave filter, and had a friend try who changed the perspective, neither were successful. I want the wave to be the same shape as the mock-up, but it ends up with too many bumps. Thanks for your help and time :)
mockup.jpgwaves.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post the original sheet music image?

Tom Mann

Guru
As you discovered, PS's "wave" filter has some limitations. In the last few years, some of those limitations have been reduced, but probably, the easiest and most straightforward way to do this sort of thing in PS is to use either the "warp" or possibly PS's "puppet warp" tools:
http://creativepro.com/know-your-photoshop-distortion-tools/

Another very nice way is to use the use PS's "displacement" filter set to vertical, and base the displacement on a two or three very soft, out of focus vertical bars. I couldn't immediately lay my hands on a tutorial on this method, but it works very well and has the benefit that one can use it to apply the exact same warping on multiple images. The limitation on this method (in its most simple incarnation) is that verticals remain vertical and the result can look a bit funky if you need really large displacements.

Another way to do this, and probably the best, is not to do it in PS, but do it in Illustrator using its Envelope Distort function:
http://www.ehow.com/how_10074969_curve-images-illustrator.html

When Sam has a chance to see your file, he'll be able to suggest which is the most appropriate method in your case.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great, I'm glad it worked. I was'nt sure about it until I tried on the actual sheet music.