What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make a cool Text effect

Hi MrToM,
That tutorial doesn't really achieve this. Please look at the yellow shadow, I can't just duplicate and move layer to make that effect.
Also please show me how to make the text goes up but the characters till stand straight like that.
Thank you.
English is not my first language so I'm sorry in advanced.

MrToM

Guru
...Please look at the yellow shadow, I can't just duplicate and move layer to make that effect...
Yeah you can...

1. Duplicate that layer BEFORE applying the pattern.
2. Move that duplicate layer DOWN by say 2px, and RIGHT by say 1px. You'll have to judge this for yourself.
3. Repeat this 'duplicate and move' process until you have enough.
4. MERGE all these duplicate layers together...then...
5. ...apply the pattern to it.

The Black outline is again just a duplicate of the White text layer moved down and right.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks MrToM,
Can you show me how to make the text lean up like that but the characters still stand straight up?
Also how can I apply a pattern from a png file?
Thank you very much :)

MrToM

Guru
...Can you show me how to make the text lean up like that but the characters still stand straight up?...

Use EDIT > TRANSFORM > SKEW

You can do this with text and still keep it editable if you need to.

skew_MT_001.png

...Also how can I apply a pattern from a png file?...
You can 'clip' it to the text layer below it.

Have your text UNDER the png layer, RIGHT click the layer (NOT the thumbnail....NOT the layer name...but any blank space), and choose 'Create Clipping Mask'...

Clipping_Mask_MT_001.png

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a quick video demo of how I would do it.

Just remember, if your going to add the pattern from a PNG file, you would clip it to the yellow shadow layer.

Hi all,
I have a question: What if you what all the black part to be transparent?
Can you show me how to create new pattern from PGN file? I don't know how to do it.
Thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi all,
I have a question: What if you what all the black part to be transparent?
Merge all layers. Use select > color range > choose the black color, hit delete or add a layer mask.
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 7.01.56 PM.png

Can you show me how to create new pattern from PGN file? I don't know how to do it.
Thank you.
I hope you mean PNG file. Please post your file.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, give me awhile as I have a few chores going at the moment.