What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super newb question about layers

Temp101

Please bare with me thru this lame question.

I can create a layer by right clicking on the background layer and choosing duplicate or dragging the background to the create new layer icon. I can also create a layer by using cmd-j. Are there any differences at all in either layer?

Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Just a reminder, your describing "duplicating layers". So when you add the word "create" you can sound confusing.

Creating a new layer is NOT the same as duplicating a layer.................two different functions.

Temp101

Thanks for the replies. And thank you for the clarification. So basically there is no difference in the layer itself whether I choose to duplicate from background or use the cmd-j. The cmd-j is duplicating the background layer correct?

gedstar

Guru
Thanks for the replies. And thank you for the clarification. So basically there is no difference in the layer itself whether I choose to duplicate from background or use the cmd-j. The cmd-j is duplicating the background layer correct?

Both commands will duplicate whatever layer is selected

Last edited:

Temp101

Thank you. One of the reasons that got me wondering is I was watching a video and he used the right click duplicate from background and I have always used the shortcut. Just was curious if there was any difference.

Thanks again

Both commands will duplicate whatever layer is selected

gedstar

Guru
There is no Duplicate from Background, it's either right click on the image and Duplicate Layer or right click on the Layer and Duplicate Layer
There's the option to right click on the Background layer that's locked and choosing Layer from Background, but that only unlocks the Layer

Untitled.jpg

Temp101

Right. Sorry I meant right clicking on the background and choosing duplicate layer.