What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

urgent help !!auto blend layers issue .

Abeer

hi all, this is my 1st time posting here & i come for indeed help !!

i have big issue with Photoshop auto blend layers i have tried all selections it never worked totally frustrated !!

the issue is when i auto blend layers its either turns white or it doesn't change at all from the original picture, baring in mind i followed all the steps

correctly i even updated my graphic drivers + reinstalled Photoshop + default settings nothing works :neutral:

when i 1st made a try it did work but just for the 1st time then when i closed Photoshop went to sleep woke up next morning to work on it never worked afterwards :neutral:

in the image below the result after auto blending, please help any help is much appreciated :)

image.png

Abeer

hi Thanks for replaying much appreciated !!

i have clicked it & it shows this, what shall i do next i truly dont get how it stopped working properly out of sudden :frown:

image.png

what i am trying to do is to learn how to blend 2 faces in 1 i have followed this steps in the video by the letter it should be showing blended result but showed white :frown:

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7bDCFlSeGg .

MrToM

Guru
In a nutshell....to keep things simple....

A. The background is turned off......Turn it on.
B. The background copy is turned on....Turn it off.
C. The layer 1 'Mask' (The black square next to the thumbnail) is black....this 'hides' the pixels on that layer....so....

Select the 'mask' on layer 1 by clicking on it.....it should have white corners when you do.
Select the BRUSH tool.
Set foreground colour to WHITE.
Paint on the 'canvas' (Where it is now white) to reveal the pixels on Layer 1......the more you paint the more pixels you'll see.

If you want to 'hide' the pixels again paint in BLACK...as it is now.

With feathering on the brush (a soft edge) you'll be able to 'paint' the face onto the background of the original image with the soft edge of the brush providing the 'blending'.

That should get you somewhere near to start with.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT.

Having now watched the video I now see the technique.

It looks to me as if you don't have the marquee when you use 'Auto Blend' so you are just getting a completely BLACK mask.....you need a marquee around the face in order for the mask to work.

Just follow the video tutorial carefully....its not perfect but they do correct their mistakes....and they prove the technique works.

Last edited:

Abeer

In a nutshell....to keep things simple....

A. The background is turned off......Turn it on.
B. The background copy is turned on....Turn it off.
C. The layer 1 'Mask' (The black square next to the thumbnail) is black....this 'hides' the pixels on that layer....so....

Select the 'mask' on layer 1 by clicking on it.....it should have white corners when you do.
Select the BRUSH tool.
Set foreground colour to WHITE.
Paint on the 'canvas' (Where it is now white) to reveal the pixels on Layer 1......the more you paint the more pixels you'll see.

If you want to 'hide' the pixels again paint in BLACK...as it is now.

With feathering on the brush (a soft edge) you'll be able to 'paint' the face onto the background of the original image with the soft edge of the brush providing the 'blending'.

That should get you somewhere near to start with.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT.

Having now watched the video I now see the technique.

It looks to me as if you don't have the marquee when you use 'Auto Blend' so you are just getting a completely BLACK mask.....you need a marquee around the face in order for the mask to work.

Just follow the video tutorial carefully....its not perfect but they do correct their mistakes....and they prove the technique works.

Hello Mr.Tom truly THANK YOU for your replay but the thing is i have followed the tutorial in letter didnt work although some photos it works fine i dont understand is it the

photoshop version am using which is cs5 or my drivers or the technique itself :rolleyes:

when i learn something new i like to learn it fully before i start something new so that's why am not letting go this :cheesygrin:

now 1 more problem i ran too is that when i finish auto blend layers the contract line of the deleted face from the layers 1 is not blended nor does the skin color it doesnt

blend with the other face :confused:

now am thinking when you run into issues like this as a designer while designing photos do you consider other blending options ? or would you try to fix the issues?

bearing in mind i have tried your instructions which great by the way THANK YOU but its isnt exactly what i look for which is blending faces .

so is there anyways to finish the blending faces mission or shall i try to fix ?

THANKS in advance :)

MrToM

Guru
...i have followed the tutorial in letter didnt work although some photos it works fine...
What doesn't work?

You need to be more specific in exactly what it is that doesn't work with some images.

The 'Auto Blend' isn't something I've ever used, anything 'Auto' rarely gives good results, so I've no experience with it but as a guess I'd expect the two images need to be somewhat close in tonal qualities in order for the 'blend' to work...the closer they are the better the blend.

Without knowing why it doesn't work for you its impossible to suggest another solution.

...but its isnt exactly what i look for which is blending faces...
Well there is no 'Blend Face' button so you'll have to use the same techniques everyone else uses....if an 'Auto' feature doesn't do it for you.

Sometime you just have to put the work in.

Regards.
MrToM.

Abeer

What doesn't work?

You need to be more specific in exactly what it is that doesn't work with some images.

The 'Auto Blend' isn't something I've ever used, anything 'Auto' rarely gives good results, so I've no experience with it but as a guess I'd expect the two images need to be somewhat close in tonal qualities in order for the 'blend' to work...the closer they are the better the blend.

Without knowing why it doesn't work for you its impossible to suggest another solution.

Well there is no 'Blend Face' button so you'll have to use the same techniques everyone else uses....if an 'Auto' feature doesn't do it for you.

Sometime you just have to put the work in.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thank for replaying, yes this is what i am saying i am ready to work for it if i known how the thing is i am a starter ;)

i thought it was nice to try the auto but didnt work but your sentence ( anything 'Auto' rarely gives good results ) shined the light in my head i will start working on it but what do you

recommend i start with ?!

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

If you are totally new to PS then it would be best to just watch as many tutorials as you can.....there are lots of them.

'Blending' is something that comes with experience, if you want it to look right anyway, so its just something you'll have to find, practice, and keep practising.

Search for 'blending images' on YT and you'll find that 'blending' covers many different techniques.....and probably none that contain anything 'Auto' too.

I know that doesn't sound very helpful but honestly....its not something that can be passed on through a forum post...its just too diverse to cover.

I've already described one method but there are many many more depending on what you want to do....and the images you have to work with....which 'way' you do things will come with experience....almost until its second nature.

"Phlearn" and "Blue Lightning TV" are two very good, well established, easy to follow users on YT....as a beginner I suggest you start with them.

Sorry that's not any more 'direct' but sometimes that's just the way it is.

Regards.
MrToM.

Abeer

No worries.

If you are totally new to PS then it would be best to just watch as many tutorials as you can.....there are lots of them.

'Blending' is something that comes with experience, if you want it to look right anyway, so its just something you'll have to find, practice, and keep practising.

Search for 'blending images' on YT and you'll find that 'blending' covers many different techniques.....and probably none that contain anything 'Auto' too.

I know that doesn't sound very helpful but honestly....its not something that can be passed on through a forum post...its just too diverse to cover.

I've already described one method but there are many many more depending on what you want to do....and the images you have to work with....which 'way' you do things will come with experience....almost until its second nature.

"Phlearn" and "Blue Lightning TV" are two very good, well established, easy to follow users on YT....as a beginner I suggest you start with them.

Sorry that's not any more 'direct' but sometimes that's just the way it is.

Regards.
MrToM.

Truly Thankful to you Mr.Tom :yourock: