What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apply Image help

Temp101

I was watching a video where the guy had a duplicate layer that he had done some liquify work done on it. Then he opens a .tif that adds grain to the photo and copies and pastes it. Then sets that layer to overlay.

Then uses apply image like this.

What exactly is that doing?

Mac 2016-06-25 at 5.39.24 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
With respect to your example:

The inverted, RGB channel of layer 'Liquify' of document 'IMG_5721.CR2' is being blended with itself in 'Normal' and RGB mode.

There isn't really any difference to using this instead of a normal 'Layer' blend mode, the result would be the same but.....Apply Image can also be used with another open document AND with different colour modes....so one document could be in RGB and one could be in Lab.

Also, the Add and Subtract blending modes have further options which are not normally available from the usual blending mode dropdown.

In a nutshell that's about it.....just an 'extended' blend mode.

Your example isn't really taking any advantages of 'Apply Image'....'Normal' blend mode doesn't really 'blend' anything.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Temp101

Thanks for the reply. The one other thing I left out he done was add a layer mask. When I do the exact steps, after the apply image thing the grain looks more natural? Or the grain gets smaller.

Here's my example. Hopefully you can tell the difference. Also my liquify layer has nothing done to it. Just a copy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was watching a video where the guy had a duplicate layer that he had done some liquify work done on it. Then he opens a .tif that adds grain to the photo and copies and pastes it. Then sets that layer to overlay.

Then uses apply image like this.

What exactly is that doing?
Hello and welcome to the forum. Is there anyway you could post a link to the tutorial?

Temp101

I was trying to find it but I can't. It was a long time ago but I remembered how he done it. And I've used this method to add grain to a photo but was just curious what the apply image does to it. I can see that it does make the grain smaller but just never knew why.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum. Is there anyway you could post a link to the tutorial?