What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pen tool - too much selection

djdancer

When I select object outline with pen tool then click make selection, it selects other pixels on it's own. Please see bottom left. I only outline the outside of the logo and selection makes the rest??

IamSam I tried to send pic via pm but it will only let me attach image via url and not paste or browse.

extra pixels selected.jpg

This is what it looks like before "make selection"
before extra pixels selected.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Although I'm not at all familiar with CS3, your Pen Tool settings seem to be correct. I do see that your Path Operations are set to 'exclude overlapping shapes', but I don't think that's causing the problem.

When you right click and choose "make a selection', make sure your feather radius is set to 0px.
What is your feather radius set on?
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 4.50.14 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There seems to be some confusion on how to make selections.

Here is a quick rundown on the process.

Here are my paths created by the Pen Tool
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.07.36 PM.png

When I right click and choose "make a selection", this is what I get.
(see below about inverting this selection)
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.08.14 PM.png

I want this selection to be on it's own layer.
So I highlight the original layer from which the duplicate is to be made.
Then I hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to duplicate the selection from the original copy, to it's own layer.

Here's what I get.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.08.45 PM.png

If i inverted the selection from above...........this is what my selection will look like.
Note that I have my original selection and the newly added selection on the outer edge of my image.

Everything within the marquees will now be chosen.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.14.54 PM.png

Here's what I get when I copy this inverted selection to it's own layer.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.16.50 PM.png

Normal selection will select everything within the marquee as indicated by the red.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.19.39 PM.png

Inverted selection will select everything within the marquee as indicated by the red.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.20.01 PM.png

hawkeye

Guru
The question I have is why would you use the pen tool to make such simple selection? Even the marginally accurate magnetic selection tool would likely do an acceptable job.

djdancer

Okay guys I think I figured it out... after a whole day. I'm not sure I was clicking on my exact start point before "make selection". I have finally accomplished what I started out to do this morning. Thank you all!!

Last edited:

djdancer

Now I just need to work at getting it to look a bit less chopped up along the top and sides. :)logo for site.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I click on make a selection my options look like yours. I'm trying to cut the logo out of the background. If I invert the selection I should be able to move the cut the logo and move to a new background per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJWDVr4Fx0
This is a terrible tutorial. You should never use CUT, it's destructive. Always copy to a new layer or use a layer mask. This guy has limited knowledge of the Pen Tool and uses it incorrectly by making the small, short clicks.........this is what causes the choppiness.

I don't think your understanding that once the part of the image that your trying to separate from it's background is on it's own layer as I described above, you can still use the move tool to move it to a new or existing document.

Glad you have figured it out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The question I have is why would you use the pen tool to make such simple selection? Even the marginally accurate magnetic selection tool would likely do an acceptable job.
I agree, but the OP seems to be determined to do it a certain way.

djdancer

I did make a new layer of it rather than cutting it then copied and pasted on a new background. Is there another way I can clean up the choppiness around the edges rather than to keep cutting. I'm a bit tired of it at this point...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

hawkeye

Guru
It seems to me that it's a disservice to not advise the OP that this image could be more easily selected using tools other than the pen tool. If the OP wants to use the pen tool for some reason, they should add a vector mask to allow for precise adjustment.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the OP wants to use the pen tool for some reason, they should add a vector mask to allow for precise adjustment.
Great advise Hawk. Can you explain to the OP how that's done?

hawkeye

Guru
Great advise Hawk. Can you explain to the OP how that's done?

Use the pen tool to outline the object then go to Layers, Vector Mask, Current Path. Adjust the path on the vector mask, add or delete points, etc. as required.

djdancer

IamSam how do I take the icon and put it on the blue background without making it look so chopped up? Once I got it on my site it looks terrible.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Show me screenshot of what you have. Let me see what you mean by chopped up. Is it aliased?

djdancer

I tried using the magnetic lasso tool but I definitely wasn't good with it which is why I stayed with the pen tool. If there is a better way where I'm not chopping up the round part of my logo that would be great.logo for site.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's see a screen shot!

If your using the Pen Tool correctly, you wont have any choppiness.

Did you try Hawkeye's suggestion?
Hawkeye said:
Use the pen tool to outline the object then go to Layers, Vector Mask, Current Path. Adjust the path on the vector mask, add or delete points, etc. as required.

djdancer

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm not great with the outlines and such. My hands are a bit too shaky for it. :) I'll definitely come back and let you know how I make out. You're definitely a pro with this stuff. You're eagle came out great!!