What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with clipping mask and overlay blending options.

slcrunner

Hello Gurus!

First post. I am following this tutorial ( http://psd.fanextra.com/tutorials/designing/design-an-artistic-watercolor-t-shirt-design/ ) and ran into a hiccup on step 9. I have created a circle with the ellipsis tool as a background to a cat image. I then applies a clipping mask as instructed to the cat layer to crop the cat into the circle. Next I'm instructed to click on the circle layer and change its blend mode to overlay. When I do that, according to the tutorial only the circle layer should be affected but that is not the case. The cat layer also takes on the opacity of the bottom layer. I'm using Photoshop CC. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've uploaded a png that demonstrates the undesired effect.

Thanks,

Attachments

• watercolor-cat.png
    watercolor-cat.png
    305.5 KB · Views: 23

MrToM

Guru
Its probably just a layer order issue, can you post your layers panel or even better the whole UI?

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, MrTom is right. You have your "circle behind cat" layer below your copies.

The tutorial has them above the copies.........
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 10.32.47 AM.png

Let me explain further..........your Ellipse 1 layer is your "circle behind cat" layer. It should have been on the top. Ellipse 1 copy and ellipse 1 copy 2 should have been the expanded layers with the added layer masks. Without having your PNG, I'm only speculating that this may be the problem.

Last edited:

slcrunner

I'm having a hard time understanding. Thanks for working with me. Here's a further simplified example with the same outcome.

brush_strokes.png
Here is the outcome and here are my layers.

layers.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I had the same problem.
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.19.59 AM.png

The only way I could get it to work (for the moment) was to apply a layer mask instead of the clipping mask.
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.20.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.20.17 AM.png

There may be a flaw in the tutorial.

slcrunner

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one and I think you're right about the tutorial. Thanks for the advice. I'll try the layer mask and see if I can proceed through the rest of the tutorial using your suggestion Iamsam.

MrToM

Guru
Right....brace yourself!

There is something weird going on here.....(But its not you...don't worry :thumbsup:)

STEP 8...
"Now create a black circle layer beneath your cat layer. Call this layer 'circle behind cat'"
Cat layer...create 'Clipping Mask'......

This is all OK, and you've done exactly that....all good so far....BUT....

STEP 10...
Check out THEIR layers panel......notice anything?

Why doesn't the layer name for the 'circle behind cat' layer have an underline?
If its being used to 'clip' the cat layer ABOVE it then it should denote this with an underline....where is it?

So....the images for STEP 9-10 do not reflect what the instructions are guiding you to do.....some trickery going on!

In fact.....the result you have got is EXACTLY the same as the very first 'result' image.....maybe not as intense but its certainly NOT as STEP 9-10 will have you believe.

So....you've actually done nothing wrong at all.

Now.....if you want to have the cat NOT take on the effect of the 'overlay' blend mode in the clipping mask below it then change the 'circle behind cat' layers' 'Knockout' in the blending mode options to 'Shallow'...

cat_MT_001.png

This would give you a 'solid' cat image more along the lines, (I think), of what you expected...

cat_MT_002.png

(Note the underline for the clipping mask!! )

Not sure if this anywhere nearer to your expectations but rest assured....its a more a bad tutorial than your inability to follow instructions.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good catch MrTom...........the problem is that it's not consistent with the rest of the tutorial.

If I continue the tutorial by adding the knockout, here's what I get.......
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.35.40 AM.png

Or this....
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.35.30 AM.png

Here's what I get by substituting the clipping mask with the layer mask.....
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.28.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 11.29.21 AM.png

MrToM

Guru
Whatever works best mate....I wrote that AS you were posting your solution so...yeah....a layer mask it is :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whatever works best mate....I wrote that AS you were posting your solution so...yeah....a layer mask it is :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.
I don't have the time right now, but I will run through the whole tutorial later. Tom Ross is a member here and he is really knowledgeable with Photoshop. It would not be like him to have made such an error (not that he's above that) I just have to figure out what he did or what may have been omitted.

@MrToM your always great help and I for one really appreciate your help.......................except when you beat me to it! LOL!!

MrToM

Guru
...I don't have the time right now...
Ditto!

That's why I stopped at the 'bad' bit and didn't go any further....as long as it gets sorted that's the main thing.

Regards.
MrToM.

slcrunner

MrTom and Iamsam, you truly are Gurus! I'm implementing these new steps and will post the outcome. Thank you for your advice, I'm excited to be able to move forward with this project.

Thanks!

-- Javier

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Follow the advice from IamSam ... he's gone further with it than I had time for.

Good Luck!

Regards.
MrToM.

slcrunner

Here's what I was able to produce. Much closer than I would have accomplished on my own without the advice I received above. Thanks once again and I look forward to more insight into how to get even closer to the original design.

universe_cat.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job. The overall effect is really pretty cool.