What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling to select object

colic

Hi first post this, I have been struggling all morning using various methods of selecting a car in one of my photos I have been using the quick selection tool and read various methods and none of which I can get it right I can get close but there are spots and parts where the car does not get selected or the background gets selected. I have tried the reverse by selecting the background but there are just parts of the car and the background which are similar colours so I think it cannot define the edge of the subject and the background. For example the car bonnet and the ground as attached it struggles to distinguish between the car and the background. I have spent an hour messing around and get no where, I fix one but and another bit goes wrong.

car_selection.jpg

The same happens on the other side of the car where the wheels and tyres are as the car is casting a shadow on the ground it struggles to define the car against the floor, I can get it close but it is not great.

So any tips / help would be great

gedstar

Guru
Hi Colic and Welcome to PSG
I agree with Eggy about the Pen Tool
Once you get the hang of it you'll be wondering how you could live without it

Another option you could try is Select and Mask mode
car_selection.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
If you like to use automated selection tools like "Quick Selection", that's fine (at least till you get used to the pen tool), but you shouldn't expect them to work perfectly.

Often, there will be just a few simple / small areas that they missed (i.e., they either included something that they shouldn't, or excluded some area that should have been included). The solution is simple, if an automated tool gets most of the job done, then use a different tool to quickly touch up any problem areas.

For example, after you used the Quick Select tool, you could use the Polygonal Lasso tool set to "subtract" areas improperly included, or set to "add" to add areas that it missed. Often, this is a much quicker approach than hoping against hope that one tool will do everything for you.

Tom M