What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make this effect?

Soumya

How to make this effect? I saw it on another layer to make it as a vignette effect or highlight effect .Really cool effect.I think its masking and brush work?? Really need to learn this and helpful to all of us in here : Gurus teach us kindly. Attached transparent png

io.png

Soumya

ok i used the above transparent png over an image and look awesome like this.Now i would like to know how to make that effect attached in my 1st post .

io.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
It's just brush work. Play around with a very soft edged brush, and I'm sure you will get very close.

If you are particularly interested in reproducing the banding that is especially visible around the brightest blob, just apply PS's "Posterize" tool to your brush work.

Tom M

PS - you posted your second message while I was typing. I now see that you probably are not interested in the banding effect, so you can just ignore my second sentence.

Last edited:

Soumya

It's just brush work. Play around with a very soft edged brush, and I'm sure you will get very close.

If you are particularly interested in reproducing the banding that is especially visible around the brightest blob, just apply PS's "Posterize" tool to your brush work.

Tom M

PS - you posted your second message while I was typing. I now see that you probably are not interested in the banding effect, so you can just ignore my second sentence.

Tom Mann nothing to ignore its golden words am edicted to this forum as everyday am leaning something new from great people like you and rest of the gurus. Am attaching the psd .I used the over lay layer mode.But still unable to find how to make the basic effect .:banghead:

Ok here's my effort i used the soft brush over the new layer as Tom M suggested.Its not like the original targeted one.But close to it.I am sure i missed some technicalities :d

s1.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
My suggestion would be to reduce the opacity of the brush you used to 10% or less, especially for the more subtle areas.

So, the steps would be:

1) slowly build up the general shape you want (i.e., use many, many mouse clicks or stylus touches at low opacity);

2) turn that layer into a smart object (so you can go back and adjust the Gaussian Blur to be added in the next step); and then,

3) apply somewhere between a hundred and a few hundred pixels of Gaussian blur to smooth out the edges.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - After step #3, you may have to apply a "levels" transformation to make sure the very center of the area you want is pure white, not a light gray.

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
You almost got it, try to low the opacity on the "myeffect" inteligent layer to 75% more or less and add some blur selection for extra exposition on the right side of the head.

Like this+- (using your psd).

io2.jpg

Argos

Guru
oh sorry i think i missread i thoth that the second image on your post was your goal XD.

Argos

Guru
My inglish is not so good, but in the second image you use the first image to ilustrate the effect no?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I added a solid color (color fill) layer set to black.
I then use the layers-layer mask and a brush tool to create the effect.
Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 8.30.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 8.29.14 AM.png

I'm not sure where you have seen this effect but you seem to be focused on it. Did it come from a tutorial somewhere?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where did you get the original?

Here is the example you provided.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 3.52.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.06.00 PM.png

Here is my version created with the Brush Tool (Tablet), big soft brush, and these settings:
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.03.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.02.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 4.07.48 PM.png

This is fairly straightforward Brush work.