What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create faded effect on an image ?

steveray

How to create faded effect on an image ? i saw this image and i want to replicate it. Am a beginner photoshoper . I attached both the targeted and the original images to learn from the experts and Gurus. see i tried my way by masking.But am not satisfied and want to learn in a correct way of doing it also want it look more professional look. Any help or suggestion or tips or tutorial are really appreciated . Thank you !!

Target :

target.jpg

My try :

my_try.jpg

Original:

original.jpg

gedstar

Guru
Hi

This can be done using a the Gradient Tool

Click G to access the Gradient Tool and then click on the Gradient Editor to setup the Gradient.

gradient editor.jpg

You want to go from White to Transparent once you setup the Gradient drag the mouse down from the middle area holding the shift key as you go

gradient.jpg

steveray

Thanks gedstar.Same thing can be achieved with masking as well i think. i added a layer above the image and fill it with black and used the soft brush and slowly painted it with white

Layer stack looks like this .

layer.jpg

gedstar

Guru
You can do it another way as well

Add a color adjustment layer above the original image and fill it with white, again use the gradient tool with foreground to background set as the defaults
Drag the gradient up from the bottom to about the middle

Black to White.jpg

gedstar

Guru
Click on the Adjustment layer icon here
icon.jpg

And select Solid Color from the pop up menu
adjustment layer.jpg

It may fill it with black just double click on the layers icon to change the color to white