What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mask several layers with one layer

chick

I'd like to create a black/white layer, then use it as a mask on several other layers, in such a way that when I change the mask layer, it automatically changes the masking in all the places I've used it as a mask. Is this possible?

I can't group the masked layers as they have to be in different places in the layer list. I know how to do a selection and create a layer mask on each layer I need, but then when I want to change that mask shape a bit, I have to do all the layer masks all over again. Is there an easier way?

MrToM

Guru
Yes.

You can VERY quickly copy any layer mask to any other layer....regardless of whether it has one or not.

Simply hold down ALT and click and drag the layer mask to the new layer.

If the layer already has a mask it will be replaced.
If the layer doesn't have a mask it will be created.

(FYI holding ALT and dragging will create a copy of almost anything in PS)

So your workflow need only to be to edit one mask....then just ALT+DRAG it to however many layers you want....takes seconds.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have questions..........

Are you using a genuine layer mask or are you using a layer as a masking layer?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your using a layer for masking, just make it a smart object. Copy the SO-layer for each time you need to use it. Anytime you wish to change the layer, just double click the SO-layer and change. Save the changes. All the other SO-layers you used as a masking layer will be updated.

chick

Hi MrToM and IamSam,

Two really excellent solutions! I'll probably end up using both :)

IamSam, I'm not sure what is the difference between "a genuine layer mask or ... using a layer as a masking layer".

I have been creating a B&W layer, then selecting either the black or white on it, then on each of the layers I want to mask with it, I do Layer, Layer Mask and either Reveal or Hide the selection.

I also have never used Smart Objects, so I guess it's time for me to go learn how.

Thank you both for the time you took to answer my question! Either of these will be much easier than what I have been doing.

Cheers!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
chick said:
IamSam, I'm not sure what is the difference between "a genuine layer mask or ... using a layer as a masking layer".
A layer mask is attached to the layer itself. It will conceal or reveal.

A layer being used as a mask is on it's own layer. They are usually used in conjunction with blend modes.

You stated:
chick said:
I'd like to create a black/white layer, then use it as a mask on several other layers, in such a way that when I change the mask layer, it automatically changes the masking in all the places I've used it as a mask. Is this possible?

I guess the best way to proceed is for you to explain and post images of what your referring to.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you talking about turning this 'black and white' layer into a layer mask?