What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to Forum, Oldie to Photoshop

dee

Hi guys

Just registered to the forum as I need some help with something I am trying to do. I'd say I was an inter on photoshop, I understand it well and can do alot on it but clearly not as good as I though I was because I'm stuck on this little edit. I thought the liquify tool was the answer but it doesn't seem to work too well..

Long story short I'm trying to take a picture of my on my bike and miniaturise the bike so it looks kind of like a toy. Perfect example is image below. I've looked all over the net and no luck.....Pls helppppppp :)

delme.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I would start out by duplicating the original, sizing one down and then using layer masks and warp to blend the two.

Can you post the image so we can mess around with it? If not I'm sure I could find one.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I would say it was the other way around.....the bike is fine, its the skid lid thats been made bigger....and only the lid too.

Thats fairly easy to do with a little cut and paste, transform, (best to make the image smaller than the lid bigger), then mask out to suit.

I bet IamSam will have something......yep, he has.

Regards.
MrToM.

dee

Hi

Ye sure. I did try that but didn't come out too well but maybe Im doing something wrong :/
delme2.jpg

dee

Hi,,

Yes its a few things that need to be done. The decreasing of the back to make the lid bigger after cropping out is straight forward its the bike itself and the fat tyre thats challenging me.

dee

Sorry for the fragmented messages. But here is another example of what I'm trying to achieve. Once again the head is straight forward but the bike is clearly smaller the rider looks big too and the wheels do look fatter to.
delme3.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also there would be a considerable amount of Clone Stamping as well.

The head/skid/helmet is larger or normal size while the rest of body and bike have been made smaller and fatter.

Let me play with the image for awhile.

dee

Really appreciate it Sam. I like to learn so if you do figure it out no matter how lengthy the process I'd love you to explain it to me instead of just handing me the image if that's ok with you:)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well.....................

This task was a bit more involved than I first anticipated, I'm not sure if I will be able to explain what I did but I will try here in awhile.

This is where I'm at.
All that's left to do is to clone stamp the background and adjust the shadow.
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.07.13 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mind you, I did this rather fast so there are some rough areas. But here's the basically finished version.
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.18.51 PM.png

I will write up an explanation a bit later.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try the post again.

I see a few things I would change, but it's close.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Right now I need to run for awhile. But I will try some other techniques. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok.........let's give this a try.

Make a selection of the helmet. Copy the selection to it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.44.18 PM.png

Add a layer mask and use the Brush Tool (or whatever tool you wish) to mask the helmet.
Turn this layer off when done.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.46.26 PM.png

Photoshop tends to place the transform boxes straight up and down. Because of this, my first chore is to make a selection of the rider and bike and rotate it upright. I used the Polygonal Lasso Tool to make the selection and then rotated it using free transform. I call this layer "Upright" layer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 4.36.47 PM.png

Next I made a selection of the front tire and duped and copied it to it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 4.45.35 PM.png

On this newly made tire layer, I used free transform to widen and shorten the tire. I also used distort to collapse the upper portion. I call this layer "Fat Tire"

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 4.46.36 PM.png

Next I used a layer mask to blend the "fat tire" layer to the "upright" layer.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.04.42 PM.png

I then merged these two layers.
On the merged layer, I used the Brush Tool and a layer mask to mask out the "new motorcycle".

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.09.54 PM.png

To be continued....

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now it's time to add the short "new motorcycle" to it's background.
Use free transform to rotate the "new motorcycle" and position.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.13.30 PM.png

Rotated...
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.22.37 PM.png

Now it's time to isolate the rider.
I used the Brush Tool and a layer mask to mask out the "Rider".

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.24.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.24.33 PM.png

Now I have to add the "rider" back to the "new motorcycle".
For this I use free transform and warp.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 12.59.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.33.14 PM.png

Then add in the helmet.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 5.34.31 PM.png

I now copy and then merge all the new motorcycle layers.

Now it's time for the clone stamp tool.

Place the merged new motorcycle layer on top of the original. Create a new layer between the two. Grab your Clone Stamp tool and go to work cloning out everything behind the new motorcycle.
Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.07.13 PM.png

Last edited:

dee

That's awesome! Really impressive and thanks for that. I'm going to give it a go myself shortly. I'll post my attempt :)

Thanks Sam

dee

My attempt :) I found your method really good. Instead of masking I used the pen tool which seems to have worked nicely.
Only thing I'm still unhappy with is the shadow. Is there some sort of rule to follow to get it looking realistic. What I did was used the old shadow and transformed it about then filled in the gaps with some clone and blurred paint at points I felt it needed to be darker
66302315-20160618_Palomar+Mountain_5159.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job.

dee said:
Instead of masking I used the pen tool which seems to have worked nicely.
I use masking as it's non-destructive and absolutely adjustable. If I need a layer without a mask, I simply duplicate the masked layer , right click on the mask and choose apply mask. I described using the Brush Tool to create the masks because I didn't know how efficient you were with the Pen Tool.

Last edited:

dee

ye I noticed that. Thanks. I played with another one too slightly different method I think looks good too..
delme1.jpgdelme2.jpg