What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layeres Image Question

John S

When working with an existing Photoshop document consisting of multiple layers, how do I change/replace one of the layer's images without altering the layer's other properties? Just trying to swap out the layer's existing image with another image which I have saved as a jpeg file on a flash drive. Thanks in advance - much appreciated.

Tom Mann

Guru
Copy the new image to its own layer right above or below the layer you want to replace. Resize it, if needed.

Right click on the original layer and select, "Copy layer properties"

Click on the replacement layer, right click and select, "Paste layer properties"

Delete the old layer.

Done.

HTH,

Tom M

John S

Thanks for the prompt reply. And one follow up question, if you don't mind (I'm very new to Photoshop): what's the best way to "copy the new image to its own layer"?

Also, how will I know whether the new image needs resizing? And if so, what's the best way to resize?

Thanks again.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When working with an existing Photoshop document consisting of multiple layers, how do I change/replace one of the layer's images without altering the layer's other properties?
What other properties?

hawkeye

Guru
Change the layer to a smart object. If you want to use another image, right Click the layer and select Replace Contents... The new content will have all the same attributes.

John S

Thanks for the response. Not really sure if there are any other properties to the existing layer. I only mentioned that to clarify that I don't want anything else on the existing layer to change. I only want to change the image that is already existing in the layer.

Thanks again.

John S

Thanks for the response. I will try this. But a follow up question if you don't mind: when "replacing contents" for the new image that I want to appear in the layer in place of the existing image, does it have to be a Photoshop file or can I "replace" it directly with the jpeg document that I have save to my flash dive?

Thanks again.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the response. I will try this. But a follow up question if you don't mind: when "replacing contents" for the new image that I want to appear in the layer in place of the existing image, does it have to be a Photoshop file or can I "replace" it directly with the jpeg document that I have save to my flash dive?

Thanks again.
This is why I asked about what properties you were referring to, as this could dictate what you need to do. Since you are new to Photoshop, you may not be using the same terms we are and, as seems to be the case, we are confusing you.

So please, if at all possible, can you more specifically define what you mean by properties. Thanks.

If you open a image into Ps, it exists on it's own layer. You can affect that image layer with adjustments directly (destructive) or indirectly (non-destructive). Are you talking about adjustments that you have made to an image layer? If you are, all images are very different and the same adjustments made on one image may not look the same on another.

There are several way's to add, preserve, and copy adjustments to a layer. We just need to know exactly what your talking about.

Last edited:

John S

Thanks again for all the help with this - much appreciated. Anyhow, I probably should have just left out of it the "properties" issue. For the jpeg image I want to add to the existing multi-layered Photoshop document, there have been no adjustments made to it at all. It is only a photograph. So when opening that new image to it's own layer, there aren't any modifications to it. It's just a photo.

From there, I am just trying to replace the photo on the multi-layered document with the new image just opened as its own layer.

Hope that clarifies a bit at least.

Thanks again.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks again for all the help with this - much appreciated. Anyhow, I probably should have just left out of it the "properties" issue. For the jpeg image I want to add to the existing multi-layered Photoshop document, there have been no adjustments made to it at all. It is only a photograph. So when opening that new image to it's own layer, there aren't any modifications to it. It's just a photo.

From there, I am just trying to replace the photo on the multi-layered document with the new image just opened as its own layer.

Hope that clarifies a bit at least.

Thanks again.

In that case, simply open the new image into the "multi-layered" document. Place the new image above the old image. Turn off the old images layer visibility by clicking on the eye. Done.

Tom Mann

Guru
#1) Like Sam, I'm also trying to understand exactly what you are starting with and exactly what you would like to do, so I re-read your initial posting to this thread (i.e., message #1). One thing caught my attention: You used the phrase, "...how do I change/replace one of the layer's images...?". In this phrase, you used the singular possessive form of "layer". This makes me think that you might have more than one "image" on a layer. Is this what you meant, or am I reading too much into the apostrophe?
--------

#2) If we still aren't understanding your request, I think that probably the best way to help you out is if you would post a PSD file that illustrates what you currently are working with. Please name this and refer to it as , "Current_PSD_file.psd".

In addition, please also post an example of a JPEG image / photograph that you want to add to that file. Please name this and refer to it as , "new_JPG.jpg".

If you would like, for privacy, convenience and/or speed, both your current PSD file, and the new JPG file can be small, simplified versions of what you are actually working with, but if your actual PSD file contains other layers (i.e., either other actual content layers or adjustment layers or layer masks), please include them as well.
---------

#3) One final question: Presumably, the PSD file that you are starting probably began life as an ordinary photo. Let's name this and refer to it as ,"Original_JPG.jpg".

My question is, "What, if anything, have you done to the original JPG after you put it in Photoshop?" If you have made changes to the original JPG, then could you describe what you did, and post the original JPG, as well.

Don't worry - I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Tom M