What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending Colors

djdancer

Is there a way to mix two different shades of red to come up with one desired shade of red if I know the exact desired color I'm looking to achieve?
Thank you!!

If you know the exact color you need............why mix? Just use that color. Why are you needing to mix?

However, if you must mix then you can use custom blending options of a layer style.

For example, let's say your known color is Orange. CMYK 0-62-100-0 RGB 255-127-0

You would take a layer of red....
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.04.51 AM.png

yellow.....
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.05.01 AM.png

overlap the two.....
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.05.10 AM.png

On the upper most layer, yellow in this case, open a layer style and use the BLEND IF > THIS LAYER
Split the slider by holding Alt/Option and dragging, set at 198.
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.10.59 AM copy.png

Now you have blended the two colors to create another.
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.05.24 AM.png

Thank you for replying Sam. I don't think I explained well enough... I'm working on my sliders (again). The last time I did them the client wasn't happy with them and said that they were too dark. IamSam in the following post you told me to put a lighter red on the background then a darker red for the gradient: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/57618-can-done.html

The ending color red that I'm looking to accomplish after putting the lighter red with the darker gradient is #1C2C48. Is there a way I can accomplish this?
Thank you so much for your advice!! :)

Hey D, check your color. I get a blue with the color you posted.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 9.35.11 AM.png

I have to run for a little while, I will be back soon to help with your problem.

Hey Sam I just came back to tell you that I gave you the wrong ##. See how long I've been working on this project? lol That's the color for the header for the site.

Hey Sam I just came back to tell you that I gave you the wrong ##. See how long I've been working on this project? lol That's the color for the header for the site.
Yes, I noticed that.

Do you have the actual color?

Thank you for replying Sam. I don't think I explained well enough... I'm working on my sliders (again). The last time I did them the client wasn't happy with them and said that they were too dark.

Let's see what you have! Post a screenshot of your canvas and a screenshot of your layers panel.

This is the deepest color I want in any of my gradient screens: #5E001A and that's on the very sides. I have canvas on this one with all of the people in it. That's going to have the gradient over it and not darker than #5E001A. He said that last three were too dark. I also tried set the opacity on the picture with people so that the red would show through just a bit like on the site I'm building to look like. This will be my second slider. The first will be all red with maybe waves, a picture of the Pastor and a slider with just writing over the top of the main.Here is the canvas along with the size.png

OK, one problem I see here is that I'm not sure if we are using the same terminology here..............what are you calling a gradient?

This is a gradient. It's an overlaying color that fades exposing the underlying color.
This a blue(ish) gradient over a white BG.
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 3.59.04 PM.png

This is a color fill layer with a lowered opacity. It sits over the people layer.
It's a gradient, but we refer to it as a color fill or color overlay.
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 4.05.21 PM.png

OK, where is the gradient in this image?
I'm referring to the gradient like I showed you in the other thread. Didn't you follow the instructions and make a slider with a gradient?
Here is the canvas along with the size.png

Yes I did and they came out too dark (I told you the client didn't like them) so starting over with hopefully the right colors. Sam I've sent 6 already and scrapped it and started over because each time they were too dark and "not the exact color".

Last edited:
Yes I did and they came out too dark (I told you the client didn't like them) so starting over with hopefully the right colors. Sam I've sent 6 already and scrapped it and started over because each time they were too dark and "not the exact color".
OK, but I need to see what you have done in order to help you correct the situation. I don't know what you have been doing..........it may be something very simple. If you have any of the old example left over, please post them. If not, then make a new one the way you have been doing it.

Just so you know, I really don't want to be going over information that I have already provided for you. You may just be doing something wrong.

Oh Sam I do understand not wanting to go over it again and that's why I just asked about the color. I can make another one tonight and post it. I am working on a few things right now so really can't. I have to show progress somewhere. :)
Thank you for your help!

OK. As far as the gradient color is concerned, it's irrelevant. It's the color of the background that matters as well as If that color is covering an underlying image. The blending will occur when the gradient is made.

Here it is Sam. It still looks terrible. I've done so much with them all night long (yes, I forget to sleep. lol) but no matter what I'm not getting the whole look of it right. When I did the last set of sliders that I deleted because they were so dark but they still looked closer to the real deal than this set has. topslider1.png

As I suspected, this is the type of effect your shooting for.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.12.59 AM.png

This is my image.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.22.29 AM.png

The first thing I need to do is to tint the entire image with a Solid Color Fill layer.

I do this by clicking the half moon icon located at the bottom of the layers panel and choosing 'solid color'.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.15.17 AM.png

Next, the color picker will open and I choose a color.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.18.02 AM.png

I then used a blending option to set the tint,
After checking all blending modes, I decided to use 'multiply'.
I also lowered the layers opacity to 60%
Here is the image....
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.20.30 AM.png

Here is the layers panel.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.20.43 AM.png

Next I create a new layer and place it on top.
Then I select my Brush Tool.

I set the brush to hardness of 0% and make my brush size very large.
Here are the settings I used for the brush tool.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.25.33 AM.png

Now I just brush in the 'vignette' type effect on the top and bottom.
Here's what the brush layer looks like by itself and on a white BG.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.28.57 AM.png

Here's how it appears on the image.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.29.17 AM.png

Here is the final layers panel screenshot.
Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.29.31 AM.png

Thank you Sam!! I'll give it a try now. I was pulled away on another project but am back at it now. ;0 I'll let you know how I make out. I have 3 of these to make then some others with just the reds. That should be easier but still didn't find a cool background image yet.

Back