What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make lines for a cone texture

TheRealFlamingo

Skærmbillede 2016-08-04 kl. 19.04.24.png

Hi! I'm not a complete newbie to photoshop and i'm pretty good at image editing, but now i've also gone into texturing, and this is where i need help. My question is really simple, i need to make texture for the cone you can see i've unwrapped. Too make straight lines on the model, they'll have to be curved in photoshop(you probably know that). But i can't draw them precise enough by just using my mouse, is there any tools i can use to do that better? I've also got an iPad i can use, if that helps?

Thank you;)

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Use the Quick Selection Tool to make a selection of the unwrapped cone. Save the selection. Then on a new layer with the selection active, add your color/texture. The texture should remain within the confines of the selection, if not, hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the selection.

I think I get what you're after but this is just guesswork....lets go through it step by step...

...I need to make texture for the cone you can see i've unwrapped...
:thumbsup: 100% with ya so far...I've done it many times myself.

...Too make straight lines on the model, they'll have to be curved in photoshop(you probably know that)...
Well, not necessarily....it really depends on the orientation of the lines on the model.....something you've neglected to mention.

...But i can't draw them precise enough by just using my mouse, is there any tools i can use to do that better?...
OK...I'm going to assume that you want to create 'hoops' around this cone and as such need to draw curved lines that follow the curvature of the UV template. (As opposed to straight lines from its top to its bottom)

You could do this with the 'Pen' tool quite easily if you are familiar with the 'Pen' tool or you could create a series of concentric circle shapes, stroked, and then masked. You colud draw straight lines and use 'Warp' in transform mode....'Puppet Warp' could also work.

It really depends on what you want to create as to which tool to use but to answer your question....
yes....possibly....depends on what you are using now.

UV_Curves_MT_01.png

Concentric circle shapes work quite well....if this is what you want.

...I've also got an iPad i can use, if that helps?...
This isn't a serious project then? :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Back