What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JoeJ

Am having trouble concluding the exercise here-under for using patterns in Photoshop CS6.

In the attached picture, I would like to use a pattern for changing the surface of the pathway in the middle of the picture, this purely as an exercise to teach myself how to use patterns.

I am getting stuck at Step 4.

Step 1. Choose the layer from the Layers palette.

Step 2. Choose Edit > Fill, and then select Pattern from the Use Drop-Down Menu.

Step 3. In the Custom Pattern panel, select the pattern you want to fill with.

Step 4 (Here's my problem): Click OK to fill the layer with the chosen pattern.

Question: Where to find OK ?Serenity - Copy.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

Joe

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Quick question..........is this from a tutorial? If so, can you link us to the tutorial?

I'm a bit confused...........(normal for me)...........but your showing an image that has had a "Oil Paint" filter applied to it............are you trying to add a pattern to the road after you have applied the oil paint filter?

JoeJ

Many thanks for yr prompt reply. Sorry I sent the wrong picture. I meant to send the original without the oil painting effect, but could not locate it; probably I had deleted it earlier in error. Anyhow, does my problem make sense to you, forgetting the oil painting effect?

The method I quoted is from an internet tutorial downloaded from a site for Photoshop C6 All-in-One For Dummies titled "How to apply a preset pattern in Photoshop CS6", by Barbara Obermeier.

Incidentally, if I am not taking too much of your time, is there a step-by-step tutorial for attaching a picture when I submit a thread? It took me a lot of trial and error to finally manage to attach the picture I sent you.

Renewed thanks for your patience and kindness.

Joe

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think your talking about this................... http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-apply-a-preset-pattern-in-photoshop-cs6.html

First off, I would not use EDIT > FILL > for this. It's not editable.

I would use a layer mask and a pattern fill from a layer style.

First, use the Polygonal Lasso Tool or the Pen Tool to make a selection of the road.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.06.59 PM.png

Then go to SELECT > SAVE SELECTION
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.07.49 PM.png

Name it ROAD.

Then select the image layer.
Double click in the body of the layer to open a layer style.
Choose Pattern overlay.
Select your pattern.
Adjust it's size if needed and click OK.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.12.51 PM.png

You can always go back to the layer style and change the pattern or adjust it.

Now we need to limit the patter to just the road.
Now go back SELECT > LOAD SELECTION, choose road and click OK.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.15.59 PM.png

Then click on the layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.
This will add the layer mask to the image with the layer style.

Done!
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.17.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 1.17.30 PM.png

fredfish

Guru
IamSam

Like you I would use the pologional lasso tool to make the selection - but would it not be simpler to simply copy the selection to a new layer (for the OP simply press ctrl+j) and then apply the pattern overlay to the new layer.

As always with PS 101 ways to do anything :)

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@IamSam

Like you I would use the pologional lasso tool to make the selection - but would it not be simpler to simply copy the selection to a new layer (for the OP simply press ctrl+j) and then apply the pattern overlay to the new layer.

As always with PS 101 ways to do anything :)

Cheers

John
This would work as well. As you say, there are multiple ways to accomplish things in Photoshop. It could certainly be easier, but not as editable as using a layer mask. If you just copied the selection to it's own layer, you would have to repeat the process to include more of the road. With the layer mask, you can use the Brush Tool to add or subtract from the selection on the mask. It's simply personal preference.

fredfish

Guru
This would work as well. As you say, there are multiple ways to accomplish things in Photoshop. It could certainly be easier, but not as editable as using a layer mask. If you just copied the selection to it's own layer, you would have to repeat the process to include more of the road. With the layer mask, you can use the Brush Tool to add or subtract from the selection on the mask. It's simply personal preference.
Point taken - I agree that the ability to alter the selection with a mask is helpful!!

JoeJ

Many thanks for yr reply. Will try out your method.

Your kindness greatly welcome.

Joe

JoeJ

First and foremost, I would like to renew my thanks to those people who are always quick to help me with my problems. Sorry, I cannot recall all the names but, if I am not mistaken, the latest helpers were Mr Tom and IamSam.

I have come up against two other problems in PATTERNS, as follows:-

First problem:- Step 1. I select the image layer -- NO PROBLEM HERE
Step 2 . I double-click in the body of the layer to open a layer style -- NO PROBLEM HERE
Step 3. I choose Pattern Overlay and select my Pattern -- NO PROBLEM HERE EITHER

At this point, I am supposed to adjust the pattern size if needed, BUT HOW TO DO THIS?

Second problem:- Just before the last stage of the procedure, I am advised to (I quote) click on the layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel. This will add the layer mask to the image with the layer style (Unquote).
I don't understand this, as when I clicked on the layer mask, I only got the selection I had made at the beginning of the exercise sitting on a blank background. HOW TO PROCEED FROM THERE?

Joe

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
JoeJ said:
At this point, I am supposed to adjust the pattern size if needed, BUT HOW TO DO THIS?

Joe, you adjust the the pattern HERE within the Pattern Overlay interface of the layer style.
You can adjust the.........
blend mode
opacity
scale
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 1.54.54 PM.png

JoeJ said:
Second problem:- Just before the last stage of the procedure, I am advised to (I quote) click on the layer mask icon located at the bottom of the layers panel. This will add the layer mask to the image with the layer style (Unquote).
I don't understand this, as when I clicked on the layer mask, I only got the selection I had made at the beginning of the exercise sitting on a blank background. HOW TO PROCEED FROM THERE?
Then you have done something wrong. You should have already had the selection and by clicking on "add the layer mask icon", it will create a mask from the selection.

Go back and try again, you seem to have left a step out.