What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush Question (background partially transparent PSE14)

JotaSV

Hello
I'm trying to create a startburst brush as outlined in a recent copy of Digital Photo magazine. My issue is that despite creating a black image on a white background the brush does not have a completely transparent background. See attached brush image for an example. It's not a starburst but does show grey on areas within the black shape. In this image I carefully selected the outline of the black area before using using the Define Brush from Selection command.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
John

brush-1.jpg

MrToM

Guru
If the image you posted is the result of using your defined brush then this is how the brush works....you will always get an anti-aliased 'edge'....ever seen a real brush do a hard edge?

If you try the same 'brush' when using the 'Pencil' tool you'll find its hard edged.....like a pencil.

I think you've defined your 'Preset' ok, its just that it works differently depending on what tool you use it with.

An example of the same 'brush' with the 'Brush' tool and the 'Pencil' tool...

brush_v_pencil_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

JotaSV

Tom
Thanks I used the pencil tool, as I was following the magazines instructions. I hadn't considered the anti aliasing, I'll do some experiments.

MrToM

Guru
In that case it may be part of the 'Preset' you created.

Its not usual to have to make a marquee before defining a brush preset......as long as you have pure BLACK on pure WHITE PS will crop the image to just the BLACK pixels.....this is then your 'Preset' shape.

Any 'excess' white around it will be ignored. (PS crops to a square so however your brush fits, thats what it crops to)

If you ARE using a marquee make sure it has no anti-aliasing or feathering.

I'm trying it out on PSE13, I don't have PSE14 but not much has changed between those versions.....I'll see if I can replicate the problem for a more definitive answer.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

JotaSV

Tom
I've created the startburst brush again and it seems fine now. I'm no longer sure what the problem was before as I followed the same instructions. This what I was after. My previous attempts would show this black cross on a grey square. As you can see now, the background it transparent.
Which when used in an image gives this effect (with a 16 point version). Not subtle but fun
Untitled-1.jpgRoad night.jpg

MrToM

Guru
I couldn't replicate the problem anyway but if you've got it sorted then that's the main thing.

Regards.
MrToM.