What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collapsing layers panel at once?

evren

i have like 50 psd several layers with effects on each of them. i want to collapse them all layers panel but action is not working. is there a way to do it?

Untitled-2.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Its very unclear from your description if you want to collapse layers in groups, as you talk of layers, or the effects that appear on a layer.

Going by your screenshot I'll assume its the latter.

You don't say what PS version you are using but in CC 2014 selecting each layer with 'effects' on it and closing one of them will close all of them.

If the layer is not selected, it doesn't get closed.

Regards.
MrToM.

evren

i mean layers but i would need groups too in future
the thing is i want to collapse them 50 psd files and several layers expanded in each of them

MrToM

Guru
Not sure I understand what the question is really.

You can only collapse layers if they are part of a group, or, as in your example, collapse the effects on an individual layer.

Whats an 'expanded' layer?

I still can't decipher which it is you want to do but whatever it begs the question as to why you would want to do this for 50 documents?

Are all those documents open?

If not it makes no difference, and if so then why can't you just collapse whatever it is you want collapsing?

Bit confused here.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Ok...see if any of these help...

1. Selecting all the layers and collapsing the effects collapses all the effects on the selected layers.
2. Selecting all the layers and opening an effect then closing again collapses all the effects on the selected layers.
3. CTRL clicking a group expands all the groups as-is...IE, open effects stay open, closed effects stay closed.
4. ALT clicking a group opens that group only AND expands any effects layers.
5. CTRL ALT Clicking a group opens all the groups AND expands all effects.
6. CTRL ALT Clicking again closes everything.

One of those should be what you need.

SHIFT may do something as well, try it and see if it works with your PS version.

Regards.
MrToM.

evren

yes but i have like 50 files i want to do same
so i have to open all 50 files and do it one by one?

any way to do it via something like action? i tried action it dont work collapsing effects

MrToM

Guru
...yes but i have like 50 files i want to do same
so i have to open all 50 files and do it one by one?...
I don't know what 'like' 50 means...either its 50 or not....but regardless, yes...why would you want to do this to an unopened document?

If a document is not open why does it matter?
If a document is open then just collapse the effects....it takes seconds with the methods I've described.

...any way to do it via something like action? i tried action it dont work collapsing effects
Actions do not work on the infrastructure of PS.

Furthermore, how do you plan on running an 'Action' without opening the document to run it on?

Regards.
MrToM.

evren

i need to work on those 50 documents and i dont want the layers expanded when i work
i dont want to collapse them each time i open a document so trying to figure if i can collapse all effects on all 50 documents at once
then i can do my work

MrToM

Guru
Ok, good luck.

If you find a way please post your solution here, I for one would be interested to know how you do it.

Regards.
MrToM.