What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie question about cropping and most probbably a stupid one at that.

tonedeaf

I am leaning Ps CC to do photo manipulations, and in doing so I end up with many layers with images that extend outside the image area.

Up until now I have just been saving these as jpeg's and then get them printed into what ever size I need without cropping.

I would like to know is there an advantage to cropping before sending to printer and how do you crop if you want to print in say, A4 and A3

Thanks again to you all for all you help previously,
Steve

Tom Mann

Guru
If I understand your question, the answer is simple: No. There is no advantage to cropping before saving as a JPG for printing. The reason is that only Photoshop has the ability to understand & preserve layers that happen to extend beyond the normal image area. JPGs can't do this, so when you save a PS file as a JPG, it is already cropped to the image area set in PS.

Did that answer your question?

Tom M

PS - Don't hesitate to ask any question. For example, this question wasn't at all silly because there could easily be file formats that, like Photoshop, remember the full (not just cropped) contents of all layers. Specifically, I don't know off the top of my head whether TIFs can do this, but I know for sure that JPGs can't. In fact, JPGs don't even support layers, whereas TIFs can at least do that.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Steve -

Oh, and with respect to cropping in PS to standard paper sizes, there are plenty of good tutorials already on the web that cover this, so I'm not going to repeat that info here. Just Google {crop image to standard sizes in photoshop tutorial}.

HTH,

Tom M

tonedeaf

Thank you again Tom, searching the web for answers can be a minefields as there are so many different views of how to do things.
Eg. I was just searching the web as to the best way to Save an Image for facebook, well, so far I have 9 different views just on the settings using the "File – Export – Save For Web". I sorted that out, but still its so varied in opinions.
As I am still learning, I use the web a lot to teach myself all the PS cc functions and try to only bug the forum when I am so confused with all the different opinions.

Steve