What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Lasso

clarkie

Hi,

I want to cut a person out from a photo with a background and put them in a silly situation.

Is the Magic Lasso the best tool for this? I can never seem to get it to "cut out" properly and then I'm unable to blend the figure in with the new background.

I'm badly losing this Photoshop War! lol

gedstar

Guru
My personal preference for removing people from the background are either the Pen Tool or the Quick Selection Tool with Refine Edge or in the latest version of PS Select and Mask
It really depends on the image in question, it would help if you could post the image you are referring to

Try this tutorial
https://phlearn.com/cut-subject-photoshop

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
The difficulty of such a task often surprises people, so don't feel bad.

There have been many threads here on the forums of photoshopgurus.com on this topic. Just Google { accurate selection cut out site:photoshopgurus.com } and read through several of the threads.

You will find that the Magic Lasso is hardly ever the best tool for this. Tools with steeper learning curves are almost always the method of choice in the case of difficult cut-out situations. These include the pen tool (where the boundary is relatively smooth - eg, graphics, horizons without trees, etc.), and using channels as masks (where there are color differences between the foreground and background).

In addition, in complicated situations, rarely will one selection tool be adequate to achieve a good selection all the way around an object. Consider the case of a girl with frizzy hair with sky as the upper background, mottled light and dark trees as the background a bit lower down, and grass even further down in the image. This means that you have to know how to add to selections, subtract from selections, intersect selections, etc. to put together one complete selection all the way around the object to be cut out.

Finally, to avoid halos and other edge artifacts, you also need to be very familiar with feathering and anti-aliasing selections.

In summary, while some cut-out problems will be easy, in general, this can be one of the more difficult photoshop tasks one can take on.

Probably, the best way to proceede is for you to post one example image, and someone will be able to walk you through the steps for that particular case.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
If no one has already said it, Welcome to PSG!!!

I'm glad you feel you had a good first experience here. All the regulars on this forum are as friendly and patient as can be.

About the only time I ever see anyone get even slightly annoyed is when somebody shows up with some crazy, request for free time-intensive work and act as if we are their indentured servants whose only purpose in life is to wait on them, when, in actuality, we are all volunteers here and our primary mission is education, not free Photoshop work (which some of the regulars are happy to occasionally perform).

Anyway, another big welcome! Don't hesitate to ask questions if you can''t figure out something from the articles / threads I cited.

Tom M