What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with my design

Adam Crowley

I am have trouble with elements of my design. I have some very basic photo shop knowledge and would appreciate any help I can receive.

I am creating a set of custom poker chips for my personal use.

ceramic idea.jpgadam1.jpgChip no texture.jpgChip Images.png

Image 1 is the effect I am trying to create in the outer ring, a sort of stone marbled effect, but I am trying to be able to edit the colors in 4 quarters.

I have tried to use layers to some degree as you can see in the second image, but the vibrancy of the colors is lost, unlike in the picture that inspired my idea.

What I am hoping to do is have an effect similar to picture 1, overlay it on the third picture, so I can then change the colors as I want. The last picture is my current idea on colors but I wish to be able to change them if I don't like the end result.

I would very much like to learn how to do this my self, rather than have someone do it for me, so that if I have any other ideas or change my mind I have a better understanding of photo shop.

It is worth pointing out that I do not like the texture that I used in the second picture, but I have not saved any of my other attempts because they have all ended up with this reduced saturation.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Adam

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Adam and welcome to PSG.

Not sure what your really needing. This is a fairly straight forward graphic effect.

A simple way to do this would be with layers.

You could have each section of the outer ring on separate layers which would make color changes simple.
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.33.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.34.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.34.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.34.27 PM.png

Then have another texture layer above those with the texture.
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.34.51 PM.png

edit: Sorry, I forgot to add that I used a clipping mask to limit the area where the texture would be visible.

The clipping mask template is just a matching black ring.
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.49.31 PM.png

Set the clipping mask template layers-layer blending mode to Linear Burn and you should get a nice effect.

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.35.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 10.50.22 PM.png

If this is not what your wanting let me know.

Adam Crowley

Hey Iansam,

Thanks for your help. This is the path I have been playing around with in illustrator (using paths and clipping masks)

When the masks are applied the base colors change, in my case they have lost saturation, but in your case they have gotten darker.

Is there anyway to apply the effect but not effect the base color? Or adjusting the color back?

Thanks

Adam

EDIT: That texture is really good did you create this using cloud filters etc... or did you find it somewhere?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Illustrator masking functions vary in how they work than with Photoshop.

I'm demonstrating Photoshop techniques only.

The texture I used for my demo was a desaturated marble texture.
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 10.25.49 AM.png

When you combine a texture like I show above, with the color ring.....
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 10.26.09 AM.png

Your going to get a blend of the two.
Here I have set the texture layers blend mode to Multiply and dropped it's opacity to 74%
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 10.26.29 AM.png

Note that I have also switched to a regular layer mask instead of a clipping mask
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 10.25.19 AM.png

Whenever you attempt to blend two different layers together, you will experience some color changes.

The way to avoid changing the color of the underlying color ring would be to use a transparent texture or pattern.
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 10.38.42 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here I have just used Color Range to select some colors of the Marble texture.
I then used that selection to create a layer mask on the original marble layer. This will leave most of the BG transparent.
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 11.29.37 AM.png

I then added the constraints of the circle back to that layer mask as well.
Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 11.28.04 AM.png