What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help selecting an area outside of a *shape*

recep

So I am printing out decals for gaming controllers, (Xbox1, ps3,ps4,etc.) I have the backgrounds and templates ready, BUT, I need help erasing the excess designs from the picture. To do it with a lasso would take FOREVER. So that is why I am asking for your help guys!

blue camo.jpg

It is reallyyy hard to see but to sum it up I do not want the picture to be square but instead be transparent with the outline of the pink lines. Can someone teach me how? (I want everything outside the pink lines removed)

Mod Edit: Personal Email Address Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

gedstar

Guru
You could use the Pen Tool
So do you want everything inside the pink outline kept and the rest made transparent? you've got pink circles inside the outline also which makes it a bit confusing as to what you want to do

Last edited:

recep

You could use the Pen Tool
So do you want everything inside the pink outline kept and the rest made transparent?

YES YES YESSSSS
basically thats what I want !! :DDD
if you can teach me how, I would appreciate it sooo much.
Thanks!

recep

I want the pink circles inside transparent (those are the joysticks and buttons)

gedstar

Guru
Alas I can't teach how to use the Pen Tool, it takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang it it's pretty easy to use!
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/selections/pen-tool-selections/

Take your time and practice

P.S. it would have been easier if had a larger image and made the outline in white, that way you could have used the Color Range Tool to make the selection and then you could have change the outline color to pink later!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, if this is a layered PSD file, and the pink stuff is on it's own layer, there may be some much easier ways to do this.

recep

The pink line is a template made in iluustrator.. but yes it is its own layer. How can I make it easier? Thanks.

gedstar

Guru
Hi

I've only removed the outside and inside from some of the circles but are you trying to achieve something like this?

selection 2.jpg