What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert Nikon d600 RAW files to DNG to be read with CS3

Roger

I use a Nikon 600, PC OS Win 10, PS CS3 - Download from SD to PS CS3 RAW-NEF files. Desire to convert to DNC as I load to PS CS3. I have set the download preference to convert to DNC. Downloads fine but does not convert to DNC. Files remain as NEF files.

As a newbie I am unsure that I should be asking this question on this sub-forum of GURUS or if I should be asking in another sub-forum please redirect me if need be. Thanks for you help.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Roger - Sorry I missed your post in the "Introductions" forum, so let me wish you a warm welcome in this thread :) .

Several points:

1. I assume you are talking about conversion to Nikon's DNG file format, not the Democratic National Committee (ie, DNC), file format, LOL. So, I am going to edit the title of this thread accordingly.

2. You do realize that your D600 came out many years after CS3 was released, don't you? This is an eternity in the software world. There is no way the developers of CS3 could have anticipated all the new features of the d600 that would eventually be incorporated into the d600's raw data files (i.e., NEF files) years after CS3 was released, and even after support for CS3 had stopped. This means that there is absolutely no way CS3 can read a d600's NEF file.

3. In your post you make no mention of Adobe's RAW to DNG converter software, so let me describe what it is, because you will need it.

To accommodate situations like yours (i.e., a modern camera and very, very old software), much to Adobe's credit, they have released a series of free file converters which change NEF (Nikon proprietary raw data files) to DNG (open source raw data files). They even have released some updates for old ACR software to allow some old versions of Photoshop to read DNG files. Please read the overview of the process here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Next, select and download the appropriate version of the NEF-to-DNG converter from this page:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Install it, and use it to translate your d600's NEF files into DNG files.

If the ACR converter that came with CS3 is pre-DNG, then update the CS3 version of ACR to a version from the download page that will allow CS3 to read DNG files. It is your responsibility to select the correct versions of these files for your particular installation.

4. One last point: If I understand your last post, you seem to express a wish to have d600 NEF files automatically opened by CS3. Unfortunately, that just isn't going to happen. You have to go through the manual steps that are described in the first reference that I cited. I believe that at least some of the DNG converters allow one to batch convert a group of NEFs into a group of DNGs. Then, some of the ACR updates may allow you to open a set of DNGs, but, to be honest, this is such a tedious process, I have never actually done this myself. My recommendation is that if you want things to happen automatically, you should subscribe to the "photographer's" version of Adobe's Creative Cloud offering. I think it's about $20 USD per month. In addition to doing all of the above seamlessly and automatically, it allows you to access all of the improvements in this software in the last ten or so years since CS3 was discontinued. Of special interest to you might be the big improvements in the noise reduction software included in the last several years of ACR.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Roger

Hi Roger - Sorry I missed your post in the "Introductions" forum, so let me wish you a warm welcome in this thread :) .

Several points:

1. I assume you are talking about conversion to Nikon's DNG file format, not the Democratic National Committee (ie, DNC), file format, LOL. So, I am going to edit the title of this thread accordingly.

2. You do realize that your D600 came out many years after CS3 was released, don't you? This is an eternity in the software world. There is no way the developers of CS3 could have anticipated all the new features of the d600 that would eventually be incorporated into the d600's raw data files (i.e., NEF files) years after CS3 was released, and even after support for CS3 had stopped. This means that there is absolutely no way CS3 can read a d600's NEF file.

3. In your post you make no mention of Adobe's RAW to DNG converter software, so let me describe what it is, because you will need it.

To accommodate situations like yours (i.e., a modern camera and very, very old software), much to Adobe's credit, they have released a series of free file converters which change NEF (Nikon proprietary raw data files) to DNG (open source raw data files). They even have released some updates for old ACR software to allow some old versions of Photoshop to read DNG files. Please read the overview of the process here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Next, select and download the appropriate version of the NEF-to-DNG converter from this page:
https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Install it, and use it to translate your d600's NEF files into DNG files.

If the ACR converter that came with CS3 is pre-DNG, then update the CS3 version of ACR to a version from the download page that will allow CS3 to read DNG files. It is your responsibility to select the correct versions of these files for your particular installation.

4. One last point: If I understand your last post, you seem to express a wish to have d600 NEF files automatically opened by CS3. Unfortunately, that just isn't going to happen. You have to go through the manual steps that are described in the first reference that I cited. I believe that at least some of the DNG converters allow one to batch convert a group of NEFs into a group of DNGs. Then, some of the ACR updates may allow you to open a set of DNGs, but, to be honest, this is such a tedious process, I have never actually done this myself. My recommendation is that if you want things to happen automatically, you should subscribe to the "photographer's" version of Adobe's Creative Cloud offering. I think it's about $20 USD per month. In addition to doing all of the above seamlessly and automatically, it allows you to access all of the improvements in this software in the last ten or so years since CS3 was discontinued. Of special interest to you might be the big improvements in the noise reduction software included in the last several years of ACR.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom. Thanks very much for your reply and editing that makes better sense of what I was trying to say!

I have downloaded, installed and now have used the Adobe Converter you recommended. Works like a charm.

I think at my stage of understanding I will forgo trying to make CS3 do the conversion as the Adobe Converter is simple and quick to use. I probably over stated the need or desire for things to be automatically done.

You emphasized how old CS3 is and I realized when I got it that it was way out of date. All of these programs CS2 up have more "tools" than I need at my level of interest/use at this time. You are probably right I should take the leap and subscribe to CC. What I have found with other subscriptions is that once into the subscription there is no way out. Your are hooked for "life" and the question always arises how long will the subscription be at the $20.00 per month level ($240.00) per year. Who can say that the new subscription rate will not be $50.00 per month in 2017? The reverse "could" also happen if subscriptions were to rise to a level allowing Adobe the same profit margins with greater possibilities for R&D.

I very much appreciate the opportunity to post here and use this forum as an "Adobe Support" for these out of date programs and users. I am working my way through a couple tutorials from Linda.com and Scott Kelby's tutorials concerning digital photography. I am sure there will be more question and a need for yours and others help.

Roger

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Roger - I'm glad to have been able to shed some insight on your problem. Also, I fully understand about the cumulative cost of subscriptions, the probability of increasing monthly fees, etc. Everyone has to come to their own decision on what's best for them. If Adobe had continued their traditional licensing arrangement, i.e., where a new version would be released every year or two, and if you wanted to stay current you had to purchase it, then there is no question that the new monthly leasing program with continuous updates makes a lot more economic sense. However, if one is not likely to keep upgrading, then it makes more sense to stick with the old arrangement.

Anyway, if any more questions come up, don't hesitate to ask. We love answering questions about PS :)

Cheers,

Tom M

fredfish

Guru
You emphasized how old CS3 is and I realized when I got it that it was way out of date. All of these programs CS2 up have more "tools" than I need at my level of interest/use at this time. You are probably right I should take the leap and subscribe to CC. What I have found with other subscriptions is that once into the subscription there is no way out. Your are hooked for "life" and the question always arises how long will the subscription be at the $20.00 per month level ($240.00) per year. Who can say that the new subscription rate will not be $50.00 per month in 2017? The reverse "could" also happen if subscriptions were to rise to a level allowing Adobe the same profit margins with greater possibilities for R&D.

Roger

Hi Roger

I certainly don't disagree with your analysis above - although my instinct is that there will always be an entry level pricing plan - but then my middle name is Gullible!

However I just wanted to correct your prices - well not correct but provide a bit more info.

Photoshop on its own is indeed $20 pm
BUT madly if you choose the Photography plan it is only $9.99 (or here in the UK £6.34) pm and that includes Photoshop and Lightroom. http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography.html

Frankly if you feel that CS3 meets your needs I would stick with it until such time you start to hit frequent limitations (I actually think that CS3 Extended is a great piece of software).

I understand the reluctance to buy into a subscription service - but it isn't all bad.

Just My Humble Opinion.

Most of all have fun and be creative (and don't forget to show us what you manage to produce!)

Cheers

John

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
Just as an addition to my previous post......

Give David Bailey a box brownie and a couple of hours and you will get some great photos. Give me a top of the range DSLR and a couple of hours and you will get a lot of very sharp, in focus colour balanced but boring photos!!

It isn't the equipment that you have or the software that you use it is the skill with which you use it!

CS3 in the hands of someone with vision is far superior to the latest version of CC in the hands of someone who expects everything to be possible using actions and plugins. Learn to use what you have (In your case CS3) - the skills will be transferable to later versions - the experience gained by exploring is priceless.

Keep plugging away !!!

Cheers

John