What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JourneyJay

I want to fill in the font here in this image to white, without filling in the area surrounding it.

I was hoping to use some kind of mask to automatically keep everything outside of the letter/s transparent.

How can I do this?

Untitled-1.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Looks an odd way to deal with text and as such I couldn't guarantee any method would work 100%.

That said try this...

Create a new blank layer at the top of your stack, and keep it selected.
Use CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E to create a Stamped layer of those below it.
Use the 'Paint Bucket'' tool to fill the text with whatever colour you like.

This very much depends on how those layers are created but in theory this should work....there are no breaks in the text outline so each letter should fill OK.

Not sure what will happen with the inner shadow...you'll have to experiment.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The text appears to be converted to smart objects. Any chance you could show us a screen shot of a PSB file? I would like to see the original text and the layer style used. It' looks like the fill opacity has been used to removed the original text color.

Hoogle

Guru
Cool they have used the PS standard blank canvas checkerboard as a pattern overlay...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool they have used the PS standard blank canvas checkerboard as a pattern overlay...
I thought that this was a possibility, that's why I wanted a peek at a PSB file.

Confestium

This may help...

http://www.dafont.com/slant.font

Here's the original font used. Now all you have to do is type out the word using this font in the chosen colour. Rasterize it then add a stroke of your chosen colour.

Bob's your aunties uncles sisters brother lol.

Last edited:

JourneyJay

The text appears to be converted to smart objects. Any chance you could show us a screen shot of a PSB file? I would like to see the original text and the layer style used. It' looks like the fill opacity has been used to removed the original text color.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Well having the 'Fill Opacity' set at zero isn't helping....set that to 100% and then change the text colour to white in the 'Character' panel and you should be good.....you'll have to do this for each letter.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrToM............you beat me...............I totally agree and as I stated above, the fill opacity is set to 0

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 8.51.21 PM.png

Follow MrToM's instructions and your good to go.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can I do it without messing with the fill?
Yes.

Just make a copy of the B group and change them. Highlight the B group (layer), then hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to duplicate.
This way you can leave the original group alone and intact. Toggle between the groups.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.23.16 AM copy.png

Jay said:
if this was a static png file, what would I do?
You will have problems making making a selection with conventional methods, at least with the ones I have tried.

Here's the problem, you have a Bevel & Emboss as well as a drop shadow that interferes with making the selection.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.15.26 AM.png

You will get selections looking like these......
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.17.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.19.40 AM.png

The quickest way is to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool and just click inside the green stroke.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.43.03 AM.png

On a new layer below the text layer, fill with the color of choice.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 12.45.41 AM.png

Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.

JourneyJay

That's what I was thinking.

I was hoping to take the final version, which changes depending on the background color, and add the white selectively for dark backgrounds, like black.

I was thinking something like Killwhite for the outside of the words, but not the inside. I don't know how killwhite does such a good job, otherwise I want to use this method.