What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing the size of a bar

Esanders323

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to photoshop (using Photoshop 2015 CC), so I might have a hard time explaining this. I have a psd file and I'm trying to change a progress bar, I didn't create the image, but I have permission to change it and alter it. This is what the progress bar looks like:

progress bar.PNG

It looks like the bar was made with a mask. If I remove the mask layer, I get the entire progress bar:

progress bar full.PNG

But I'm having trouble making the progress smaller. If I go to mask and select, I can change it a bit, but I'm not able to keep a straight edge. Here is a screen shot of me in the middle of doing the mask and select, but losing that straight edge that the first picture has:

progress bar mask.PNG

Is there an easy way to be able to change the size of the progress? I tried using the transform tool, but that changes the entire bar and really screws it up like below:
progress bar size change.PNG

Thanks!

fredfish

Guru
Like most things in Photoshop there are a number of ways to achieve this.

One way is to use clipping masks - I have just uploaded a short video showing how to do this for this graphic.

https://youtu.be/qBkfQaJRl0E

Good luck (Oh and welcome to the forum!)

Cheers

John

MrToM

Guru
You seem to be 'over-complicating' what is a relatively simple procedure.

Your 3rd image is the nearest and from this I assume you already know what a layer 'Mask' does....right?

So why complicate things? Just create a marquee based on the original 'Mask' and adjust it to whatever length you need....use 'Subtract' from selection and literally just chop off the end till its the right length.

You can 'edit' a mask in just the same way as the layer...except it needs to be in greyscale, not colour. Other than that all the usual tools work on it, even adjustment layers too.

Regards.
MrToM.